TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

20k service Haldex rant!!! (Whine mode on.) Long.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20k service Haldex rant!!! (Whine mode on.) Long.

I feel like I'm both educating my dealer's service department AND doing all the work myself. 5 1/2 weeks and they still don't have all the parts needed to perform the Haldex service.

TT owners are the only VAG users with Haldex, so it's a strange area for techs. and parts people alike. To service the Haldex you need:
Cartridge containing special fluid
Applicator to squeeze the fluid into the Haldex
Replacement Haldex filter and gasket
Special filter wrench.

The Haldex filters are on national back order, so, though I told my service guys 5 1/2 weeks ago about the need for the Haldex service they STILL DON'T HAVE THE FILTER!!!!

Whine mode off.

If you have a 20K service coming up soon, do yourself a favour and make sure your dealer is aware of the need to service the Haldex and have all the parts in stock. I'm the guinea pig because I'm the first TT at my dealer to 20K (or others didn't get their Haldex serviced)!!!
Old 02-21-2001, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sorry you had such a hard time, lor, i got my 20k service this week...

although the dealer didn't do the haldex service last week, they did it yesterday. the service manager talked to me about how difficult it is to do the haldex oil change because of the location and small clearance -- and the funny tool used to open to the plug.

plus, they fixed the resonance that occurred around 3k rpm in the center of the dash. they said that there was a loose part that my aftermarket stereo folks must have left (?). in any case, they didn't give me a hard time about it and did fix the problem.

once again, tischer gets rated highly for service.
Old 02-21-2001, 05:53 PM

Default LOL...Talked to my service manager today...(even longer :)

Mine did *not* get done @20k. Didn't notice it for a while, 20k was done when I dropped it off for ESP. After your posts on this, went back and checked my receipt. Not written up. I've let it slide till 25k, hopefully that wasn't the wrong thing to do. (Dealer is 60mi away, so service is a minor PITA.)

Called today, and it went something like this:
Me: {long list of other things}. And by the way, I don't think the haldex fluid got changed at 20k.
Scott: Hold on, let me bring up your car.
Scott: What did you say it was?
Me: Haldex. Supposed to be changed at 20k. Requires a special kit. Quite a few dealers have been missing this, or don't have the kit.
Scott: Haldex? Oh, the clutch thing.
Me: {Silent gasp}
Scott: I'll have to look into that. When do you want to bring the car in?

Hum, so making the apt. for next week may have been to soon?
Any guess if I'm doing any serious harm by delaying this 5K + however long it takes them to get the parts?
Old 02-21-2001, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it's supposed to be serviced.....

then it should be. It's subject to wear and tear like everything else....those clutches are working pretty hard....so that's why i want mine done asap.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be in Laguna Seca in 2 weeks?
Old 02-21-2001, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep! I'm signed up and raring to go. See you there!
Old 02-21-2001, 07:43 PM

Default watch out for that blind downhill hairpin>>

I've wrecked there many times...

errrr in gran turismo II that is
=)
Old 02-21-2001, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Any VW/Audi dealers nearby?

Doesn't Volkswagen use Haldex for their AWD vehicles? Perhaps a VW dealer might have the parts, and if your dealer is VW/Audi (as opposed to the infinitely more common Porsche/Audi) I could see where they might have the right tools on hand...

Just a thought; this sucks almost two years after intro (what, they have no other TTQ owners that have hit 20K yet?!?!)
Old 02-21-2001, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is a VW/Audi dealer. Yes, I'm the 1st 20K TT.
Old 02-22-2001, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The blind downhill hairpin, Hmmm, you mean the infamous corkscrew? You know you have to slowdown to

60mph on that one - on GT2. On real life, it is a dream come true and a blast to come down that thing, well, about 20mph slower than GT2

See ya there LLoyd. Audina is ready (Jenny's TT) and the A4 is still being prepped to keep up with the big boyz

Quick Reply: 20k service Haldex rant!!! (Whine mode on.) Long.