TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

At 40k, are there any other braking components I should change since I'm getting pads changed anyway

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At 40k, are there any other braking components I should change since I'm getting pads changed anyway

.... since I'm getting the pads changed, are there any other components in there that I should change (that's relatively cheap)?

If not at 40k, are there things I should consider for the future? (next time when the rotors are swapped out)?

I've been reading in the archives about brake fluids, and lines, but not 100% sure when they should be changed, and what exactly they even are :P
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Default Upgrade rotors now or around 60-80K. depending on wear (thinness).

OEM 'stage 2' kits a bound. You can also get a BBK to stop a Mack truck, or Airbus E380, for about a grand. The more you spend, the more fun you 'can' have.

I have StopTech Stage 2: IBK (oem diameter, proprietary scroll), SSL from Goodridge, and Axxis PBR paads. I track and DD the car.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The message inside was completely foreign to me :) lol

I won't be racing/tracking my car if that makes a difference .... I'm more interested in small tweaks that'll help with handling/safety/braking ...

As for the OEM rotors.... I'm contemplating about swapping them out now (or later at 80k), but still can't decide between the plain OEM ESC rotors or the ESC slotted rotors ($70 difference) ...
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Probably not a bad idea to drain and flush your fluid and put in new..

unless you did it very recently. You could replace it with a high performance fluid and get a bit better pedal feel and less fade under spirited driving. If you are not tracking then there really is no reason to upgrade the rotors. Slotted rotors may help performance in the rain if you do a lot of rainy highway driving otherwise not necessary in normal use.
Check your rotor depth and if you are close to replacement time then might as well do it now so that you are set for another 20K.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Just get your rotors turned (if still in spec) and change your fluid.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default For the drain/flush of the fluid, which fluid should I get?

Will the slotted rotors help significantly in the rain? If so, I don't mind the $70/rotor premium over the regular ones ....

Are there other components I should consider other than the brake fluid?

Also, in terms of the rotor depth, is that something that I can measure myself (with a ruler)? Or do I need that professionally checked?

Thanks for the great info
Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: For the drain/flush of the fluid, which fluid should I get?

Brake fluid choice is like a religious choice Search the forum and make your decision. A lot of folks like to run Motul - it's expensive but good stuff. Is it really necessary for every day driving? Absolutely not.

If you tend to drive close behind others and have gotten that pucker feeling when having to brake in the rain waiting for the brakes to grip then you will feel some benefit from slotted rotors as they tend to have a squeegee effect that could dry your brakes more quickly than a stock setup.

Some folks maight suggest upgrading your brake lines but for normal driving, it's not necessary unless yours are worn.

You should have your brake guy do the rotor check and then have them show you the result and what the limit is.

good luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

great great great, thanks! pointed me in the right direction....!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default actually, one more very simple question about bolts ... :P

on ecstuning.com there's a "brake rotor screws" ... do I need this to go along with the rotors? Or should the current ones work still when I change to the slotted rotors?

do the slotted rotors have any different life expectancy from the plain jane ones?

thanks again david
Old 11-29-2007, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default On a normal rotor the screw is there to hold the rotor in place when the...

wheel and caliper are off. It's not big and sometimes they get messed up pretty easily. It's a cheap part to replace so I'd do it. If these are something special to an ECS Design I would ask them as they are the designers

I don't use slotted rotors and never have so I can't attest to the longevity of them (sorry!)

Quick Reply: At 40k, are there any other braking components I should change since I'm getting pads changed anyway