TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

4th strut mount on the way out, are there any STRONGER upper strut mounts for the TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th strut mount on the way out, are there any STRONGER upper strut mounts for the TT?

So i installed Bilstein HD with some springs a few months ago, not sure what brand the springs are, but they lowered me just a bit. So i like the setup, but im changing my 4th strut mount in the row!

i bought the struts and springs used, could either the strut or springs be bad?

Yes, i did go over a bump, but it wasn't that bad to put me out of alignment that i did the day before, get a buble in the tire(need new $300 tire) and blow out the strut mount. This was the mount i got from ECSTUNNING.com and it broke within..what, 5-6 weeks?!

Are there any stronger/more durable strut mounts out there? I also installed an OEM Audi mount & bearing on the driver's side a week earlier. That was the 3rd one. Did my 1st and 2nd when i installed that used suspension.

Please help

Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 AM
Rest In Peace

Check your installation....and stick with OEM parts for the upper strut mount and bearing...Are you replacing both everytime?

I have run Bilstein sport shocks and Eibach springs for 7 yrs now and been through 2 sets of strut bearings and mounts....i run poly bushings and 19" wheels in the summer in New England...

On your springs...are they correct for the car? IT IS possible they are too short for the HD's (they were pretty good all around) and putting a lot of pressure on that top bearing...you should really know what the springs are so you can insure you a good match there...

Lastly...if you have hit a pothole or something hard enough to bubble a tire, that is a pretty good shot....check your tire pressures...you should be in the 37-38 psi on 18's...40psi or so on 19's to protect the tire and rim...

Lots to consider...
Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at 034 Motorsports; they have high-durometer mounts and an OEM bearing package; expensive, but worthwhile.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip the parts from ECS. Had a couple bad batches from them too. Started shopping at purems and have had better results.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Former Vendor

Yes. We carry a VW Motorsport version of the mount. Factory VW Racing part.
Give us a call or email for details.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TTinCT
Check your installation....and stick with OEM parts for the upper strut mount and bearing...Are you replacing both everytime?

I have run Bilstein sport shocks and Eibach springs for 7 yrs now and been through 2 sets of strut bearings and mounts....i run poly bushings and 19" wheels in the summer in New England...

On your springs...are they correct for the car? IT IS possible they are too short for the HD's (they were pretty good all around) and putting a lot of pressure on that top bearing...you should really know what the springs are so you can insure you a good match there...

Lastly...if you have hit a pothole or something hard enough to bubble a tire, that is a pretty good shot....check your tire pressures...you should be in the 37-38 psi on 18's...40psi or so on 19's to protect the tire and rim...

Lots to consider...

I did replace both the first time, thats the reason i threw that used suspension in. Figured why not get lowered and improve handling since ill be paying to replace the two mounts anyways.
This time around, it seemed like the passanger side mount was still OK after i hit a pathhole a month ago. Apperanlty it wasn't, all it took is one small. Im was really surprised a small bump like that did all that damage though!

My pressure was ~37psi. I believe that the lower the pressure, the less chances i have to bubble the tire but the more chance to bend the rim, does that sound about right? Im not talking about 20 or 55 psi. Im talking 32-38 psi.

THanks for the reply