TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

6V power for Delphi SkyFi

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6V power for Delphi SkyFi

I am installing a Delphi Skyfi XM radio now in my 2002 225TT Coupe, learning as I go. I got Jeff Bipes' adapter (nice) & a micro antenna installed yesterday and ran the wires up through the center console to the storage area under the ash tray. Just a couple cut fingers on the way. Nearly there. I want to hard wire a power supply, for a clean install. It will all end up, hopefully, in the covered storage area, out of sight when not in use.

The Delphi SkyFi radio cradle takes a 6V power supply. The Delphi/XM cigarette lighter power cable includes 6V to 12V converter in the lighter plug. Maybe the easy solution is to take that apart and hardwire that in. I've searched AudiWorld and saw several suggestions for making a voltage regulator to get from the auto's 12-13+ volt power to 6V. I'm not proficient electrically, so building a voltage regulator could be done, but I'd be clueless as to mistakes I might make. Don't want to fry anything, TT included...

So I want to proceed carefully. Are there good/easy solutions for the electrically inexperienced?

Ricardo
Old 09-18-2004, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your best bet is to take apart that power adapter, and hard-wire it...

The nat the same time, wire in first a radio noise filter teht you can get at Rat-Shack.

The cig. power adapters for the XM and Sirius are notoriously poor, and they allow alternator whine and noise through them
the XM/Sirius boards are full of this problem.

while you are at Rat-Shack, look for a small plastic box you can put this in, or just use some good electrical tape to tape up the circuit board once yo get it apart.
Hardwire it under the lower dash, driver's side.

you can run the 6V line from there down the center tunnel area along where it meets the carpet, and just push it under the edge.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks -- sounds good. Can't wait...

Thanks, Jeff. Having fun putting this in. The wires are all neatly in the storage compartment now...