TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

9 volt battery memory saver

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9 volt battery memory saver

I am planning on repairing the connections for the air bag, under my passenger seat. I know I need to disconnect the battery, but I do not have the code for my radio. I do have a tool, that is a 9 volt transistor radio battery, that plugs into the cigarette lighter, to retain radio memory, and keeps it from going into the safe mode. My question is, does the transistor radio battery have enough voltage, or amperage to set off the airbags? Thank you in advance.....Mike
Old 12-20-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts

Potentially yes. I've seen posts from folks in the past who have used this on their Mk 1 successfully. However, I tried it when I had a Mk 1 and it did not work for me and the radio went into safe mode. You need to have the ignition on which I thought I did.

Since then I been using a trickle charger but you need to be careful because some only provide voltage if the battery is connected. That is, if you hook some trickle chargers to the cables while you replace the battery, the charger senses an "open circuit" when you remove the battery and shuts down.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Potentially yes. I've seen posts from folks in the past who have used this on their Mk 1 successfully. However, I tried it when I had a Mk 1 and it did not work for me and the radio went into safe mode. You need to have the ignition on which I thought I did.

Since then I been using a trickle charger but you need to be careful because some only provide voltage if the battery is connected. That is, if you hook some trickle chargers to the cables while you replace the battery, the charger senses an "open circuit" when you remove the battery and shuts down.
Maybe you didn't pull the fuse for the dome lights. That would drop the voltage of the memory saver down to about 3 volts, not enough to retain memory. I hope this works, or I will be at the dealer getting my radio code.