TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Aaargh... Dealer rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aaargh... Dealer rant

Some of you may remember I had an issue last December with my car not starting. I had had the car towed to the nearest dealer and, after 3 hours of diagnostic time, they told me the ECU was bad. I asked if the issue might be the engine speed sensor (a common cause of starting failure) and they said no, that part checked out fine, but the ECU needs to be replaced for $1100.

Instead, I had the car towed out of there and replaced the engine speed sensor myself in my own garage, which solved the problem. Total cost: about $100.

So this past weekend I got a letter in the mail from the local Audi dealer that said:

"Dear Valued Customer,

According to our records, on your December 5, 2007 service visit, it was recommended that the following services be performed on your 2001 Audi TT:

Brake service
Tires
Engine control module

If the above service has not been completed, please call us and schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience.
We look forward to assisting you with all your automotive needs. [This is the best part-->] As always, your complete satisfaction is our top priority."

My brakes were replaced about 30K miles ago and my tires are brand new. Not remembering any mention of these things when my car was at the dealer, I just called to ask what might have been the problem with the brakes or the tires. The service rep pulled up my record, and said there was nothing reported about the brakes or tires, but I do need a new engine control module. He had no answer when I asked why brakes and tires were mentioned on this letter.

Obviously these letters are merely a way for them to drum up business, but it pisses me off that they send out crap like that. What would they have done if I was an unsuspecting, trusting customer who made an appointment to have my brakes and tires serviced?? Totally unethical IMNSHO.

Rant off.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default actually, pretty typical of almost any dealer..

I get that stuff on my Subie all the time. They look at what they think your milage may be and then go from there,,hoping for a bite.

I put it in the recycle bin.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Tire servicing is quite complicated ;-)
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default brake service and tires were prolly based on mileage. Automagically logged in teh computer

but the service advisor ignored it.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ahahah..... get mail like that from my local dealer all the time. i asked to be taken off there

mailing list and the guy asked me why, i had a hard time geting him to undestand how my TT hasnt goten more than 3mils in th elast 2yrs. balh..... silly kids.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Default these letters are usually accompanied by a 10% off service coupon from my dealer

...and when your dealership is a tirerack rep and the cashier doesn't care that the coupon only says service, it means you can get Kuhmo Ecsta MX's for $88/ea and have 10% taken off the already rediculously low cost of mounting/balancing.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It must be based on time/milage, I get them too but have never been to the dealer for anything
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

S T E A L E R S H I P............MO
Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Rest In Peace

Default What??? No nitrogen in those tires too???? >>>

MB sent me a note on that....was gonna charge 60$ for the service.....
Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe... but this was the first time I had been to this particular dealer. How would they know the

mileage I had last had these things serviced? At the very least, they could have looked at my tires and brakes and put in the computer "Tires: 100%, brakes: 60%" (or whatever) and then six months from now, send me that letter.

I have gotten those letters from other dealers that say "based on your mileage, you should be due for your 60,000 mile service; please call us to schedule it." But this particular letter said "when you were in here in December, we told you you needed these things serviced." Which they didn't tell me.

Quick Reply: Aaargh... Dealer rant