TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

About SCCA sponsored auto-x school on LI, NY. Very Very long so bare with me :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No, Larry. 39.0 for me, and 38.9 for Rich in the submarine...

It was the only run that I took in my own car with the timers running, and the tires that I was running were "dead" in terms of grip. As a matter of fact, several of the regulars asked me if those were the tires that I planned to run at Petersburg next weekend. I guess that it was obvious that they were toasted.....
Old 04-30-2001, 04:46 AM
Elder Member

Default and I finished .6 behind you on stock tires in Doug's car! and <.9 behind with Vishal's! :)

You should have let me have a run in the sub!
Old 04-30-2001, 04:52 AM

You wouldn't have gone faster. Those tires were DEAD dead, not picking up stones dead. :-(
Old 04-30-2001, 04:55 AM
Elder Member

i wasn't looking to go faster, just try out the sub with that exhaust is all
Old 04-30-2001, 05:35 AM

Default Funny PAINT story from yesterday...

When I pulled up to the line to take a run in Doug's car, the starter looked at the car, looked at me, and said that it was about time that I had my car painted! He complimented the color, too, even if Amulet Red isn't the fastest color. :-)

The students that I got to instruct yesterday were Doug, a guy in a Nissan Altima, and some punk kid in a Maxima. Doug was fast right out of the box, and the other instructors were yelling at me for beating up on his car when it was really Doug driving! (Instructors were told to only drive students' cars at 80%.) I took it easy on his car, trying to make sure that he had tires left to drive home on. I didn't even launch it hard on the two runs that I drove. On the timed run, I damn near stalled it leaving the line so slow. :-(

After getting out of Doug's car, I jumped into the Maxima. After two rides with John driving, I got behind the wheel. Keep in mind, this was the first time that I had driven FWD in over a year. When I got to the second cone of the slalom, I quickly realized that I wasn't in the submarine any more! You don't appreciate the quick-ratio steering rack in a TT until you try and drive a "regular" car! Somehow, I managed to get it through the slalom, hand-over-hand steering. ;-) The rest of the course was uneventful, except for noticing how strong the Maxima's brakes are. Overall, a fun drive, although automatics and I don't agree.

I hate to say it, but the Altima was the most fun of the three to drive. I got that car into the first 180 degree sweeper AND THE TAIL CAME OUT! Yahoo!!! Dukes of Hazzard time!!! It was rotating nicely on a throttle lift, and I made use of that rotation on the finish turn. I'm going to look up what class it runs in, because I think that it might make a neat H-Stock car if that's where it is classed.

John, dude, we've got to work on tire pressures. Try jacking the rears up my 10 PSI. I couldn't even make the Maxima rotate with generous amounts of left-foot braking. There's still another 1-2 seconds hiding there in the rear tire pressures, and we're gonna find it as soon as I get back from Petersburg.

I hope that everyone had as much fun as I did, and left the school with a little more respect for their cars.....
Old 04-30-2001, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Geeess. Okay Okay Dude. Like I said I wasn't too sure. Still though, Doug it was great time.

Maybe we should become each other's co-drivers. Hey I did pretty good saturday with the directions from NJ back to NY. We can also throw John in the trunk, he can be the trunk monkey and can provide better wieght ratio on the car. Actually as I recall you got a 40.9xxx correct. But ahmmmmm that was with your 225GIAC Chipped TT, hee heee. LOL
Old 04-30-2001, 05:56 AM

You should BOTH be thankful that I didn't give the submarine keys to John. :-)
Old 04-30-2001, 07:54 AM

Default Re: About SCCA sponsored auto-x school on LI, NY. Very Very long so bare with me :-)

It was great to meet a few of you guys. The TT just flies through the cones. My instructor was Perry and I picked up a lot of tricks from him. It's definitely an eye opening experience to get a ride in his Miata at the end of the day. I did pretty well in my "whisler" and got a best of 40.7 on street tires. I can't wait for the Kumhos and I might even have a shot at the SM turbo civic at Englishtown.
Old 04-30-2001, 09:36 AM

You need a wider pipe exhaust on that thing!!!!
Old 04-30-2001, 09:39 AM

Yeah, and you've gotta let John (MCEngineer) drive it! :-) :-) :-)

Quick Reply: About SCCA sponsored auto-x school on LI, NY. Very Very long so bare with me :-)