TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Absolutly Frustrated....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIGDROCH !hey ... im with ya ... ive had a hell of a story wiht stupid lowering

question though ... what size of rims u got and what size of rubber . second TAKE THAT SPACER that sits on top of the spring out .. seriouslly your car can run without it .. i have the exact same thing.. i took mine out .im running kw v1 now but ive had like 5 other brands in there. .
ive used neuspeed ..hr . hr coilover. eibach. . the best for springs alone were my neuspeed . but they are the exact same as hr springs . if you take the spacer out .. it should come down a lil more .. also take out all stupid spacers in where the spring lies . audi like to jack there $hit up... dont ask me why. and who ever says as a salesman that ohh it needs to settle i flip them the bird tell them to sit on that and let it settle .

oh if those are 19s ... the hr springs should def. be looking alot lower than that..

let me know if that helps. or how it turns out ..
i hate our cars suspension design..
Old 10-10-2005, 02:33 AM

Default cheese .. i love your ride but the quattro setup is finiky unlike your fwd. .our springs suck . he

has to take that pirch pad . spacer out .. the spring can ride fine without it. neuspeed springs on quattro only lower like 35 mm so like just a tad more than an inch . ( not much ) and when i measured it before and after .. it went down 25 mm the first day . and then a month later . it was at 30 .. but honestly you couldnt notice a mm of difference it was so small it was pathetic. so i went with kw v1 .. its at 2 inches exactly . just what the specs said . but im still not happy . i have a huge gap.. running 17s .. so im waitin to go for 19s .. hopefully that will make me happy
other than the kw not lowering it a huge amount i think that really the adjuster is a waste of space in the rear .. i wish i could run without it.but have been advised not to.. i think that if i put my neuspeed rear spring in there alone ( because it can run all by itself ) it would give me another ...15 mm lower. but i really like the design and quality of the kw ..
are me and bigdroch the only ones with problems with our lowering .. ???????

sorry for the book i have just wrote.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gotcha bro...thanks for the tip!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:08 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3rd. do it right the first time. will cost you less in the long run...even if you

have access to a lift or whatever. now, you'll have to take them out again for the third time. with coilovers, you can dial in the drop and never have to order another set of springs again. but you will have to get an alignment all the time unless you get a smartcamber like schwing has.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Now that's the kind of feedback I was looking for...

I'm running 19's with 235/35's for tires. It should be really close to the overall stock height. I just don't understand how lowering springs that are designed to lower 1.5" only drop my car between 1/2" and 5/8"!!. There has to be a difference in our cars through the years. Some 225's put on a set of springs and they end up looking GREAT! Nice and lowered and it actually dropped to the specified height of the kit they were using. Then there's ours where no matter what you do it just doesn't seem low enough.

I know for some reason the FWD models go MUCH LOWER with almost any spring kit. I can't see why the suspensions would differ that much especailly in the rear.

But TTook, you were saying you wanted to go to 19's from 17's and you were hoping that it would lower it? Well I will tell you that, when I went with my 19's and 235/35 tires it was pretty much the same overall height as the stock rims and tires. So really adding the 19's with the tire size I went with it didn't change my wheel well gap at all. That sucks to hear I know.

I'll try taking out the spacer on top or my rear spring, it might give me like 1/8" extra. THere's also a bottom spacer as well. I now it's attached to a metal plate that has a little tab that locks it in place on the chassis. When i took it off I also noticed that there's a little rubber tab off of the rubber spacer that keeps it from spinning around.

Did you take the bottom rubber spacer out?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Thanks Bill, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to shell out for the coilovers....

They're not the cheapest thing and I'm not really looking for the performance end of it because you'll never find me on a track trying to race this thing. Buuuuutt I am looking for the drop!

I see that yours are for sale, what are you asking? Also what are you replacing them with?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I don't understand this talk of lowering by putting on larger rims... Changing rims won't affect

actual wheel gap at all. It might look different, but unless you get the wrong size tire, the diameter will be the same. If you get the wrong tire, it could affect the measurement, but your speedo will be off too.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IMO, more people do coilovers for appearance than peformance. Performance posters lean more

toward springs and shocks... If you go coilovers for performance, you need to adjust alignment and corner balance (which hardly anyone does) every time you change the height (actually you need to do this for looks too, but most don't adjust often if done for appearance)... For appearance, you set it and forget it at the drop you want. Get the alignment done, and don't worry about corner balance.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:24 AM

Default You are correct, my tire and rim combo were the same height as stock..

I was just explaining to TTook that if he was banking on his ride going lower just switching to 19's that he would actually have the same wheel well gap unless he goes with an off size tire as mentioned.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:26 AM

I appreciate the knowledge, I will have to look into learning a little more about the CoilOvers

Quick Reply: Absolutly Frustrated....