TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Advice (Lemon)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gee, this sounds *VERY* familiar............

So, do you think I should pursue the A-BBB or just go with my states lemon law directions?

what kind of hoops did you have to jump through?

I'm awaiting a call from the NW regional Rep at the moment, who's working #'s to put me into a New 2004 S4.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:34 PM

Default First question is do you qualify for your states lemon law?

Each state is different. The advantage of the BBB is that you don't have to qualify for your state's lemon law. I was far outside the mileage requirements for Oregon (and the time limits if I recall correctly).

The trick and most important thing with the BBB is to be able to show a recurring, identical problem that Audi has had an opportunity to fix but has not been able to. With that problem, you need to be able to show how that problem has either created a safety issue with the car, or diminished it's value (if you were to sell it would someone demand a lower price due to problem 'X').

If you go the State Lemon Law route, be prepared to hire a lawyer to represent you. From what I understand, they take a pretty hefty chunk of what you get back from AoA. I don't know the numbers for sure.

If you go with the BBB there is no need for a lawyer (I'm an engineer and figured the stuff out). What basically happens, is you turn over a bunch of info to the BBB. They send it on to AoA with your request as to how to resolve the problem. I demanded they buy the car back. AoA gave me the same response I had already gotten trying to deal with them directly "We'll continue to service the car under the existing warranty" blah, blah, blah. The BBB then comes back to me and asks what do I want to do? Options were to walk away or go into arbitration.

The beauty of arbitration with AoA through the BBB is that the decision is totally, and legally binding for AoA, but is non-binding for you! If you win, AoA is required by law (and contract) to abide by the decision, but if AoA wins, you still have other avenues to try. It's awesome!

So I guess the better option would be to go through the BBB first and if you win, great, if you don't, you still have the state lemon law (if you qualify).

Questions? Fire away.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:48 PM

Default i am starting on mine soon too but im 2 months due on the bbb lemon law for MI............

but i hear i still have hope and hopefully mr garrettk will hellp me too..... im only 19 and i poured my life savings in this and it hurts that im getting screwed
My TT Problems: AGE 1 yr 2 months
1. Radio cover does not close properly with weather temperature above 65 degrees. (remove and install pannel trim fixed)
2. Rattle sound when making turns in convertible top. (no sound was heard during test drive so not fixed)
3. When cold starting engine boggs and or shuts off. (cause electrical malfunction, replace imp sender and seal, still not working so remove and install new TDC sensor so now fixed)
4.Check engine light came on ( they think they fixed it by reprogramming LMAO so sorta fixed)
5. Headlight washers failed. blown fuze but fixed)
5. When cold starting engine boggs and or shuts off. (being fixed monday) AGAIN !!!!!
6. 2nd gear synchronizer failed. (being fixed monday b4 looking at problem service manager already thinks its my fault)
7. Horn stopped working. (being fixed monday)
8. Shifting any gear is very hard (being fixed monday)
Old 01-22-2004, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oooh, sounds like fun!

Sorry to hear that you spent to much money on the car and how much it has sucked.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:03 AM

Default The trick is going to be to have the same problems repeatedly...

and AoA unable to fix them. Your start up issues may be your chance if it doesn't get fixed properly this time.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: First question is do you qualify for your states lemon law?

From reading my states Lemon law (Washington State) I believe I qualify.

I wish I had read the site sooner, My car would have qualified on 2 accounts already. (I think)

1. The first problem was. While driving My vehicle's lights would shut off randomly. (Serious safety defect) I let the shop try to repair this problem 5 times and on the 5th attempt they did fix it. (According to lemon law it has to still exist) If I had known sooner, I'd have lemoned the car based on this fact. It only requires (2) repair attempts.

2. The second problem is that there is a grinding/knocking/warbling noise in the engine. They have tried to fix this problem 4 times and the problem still exists. They've replaced pulleys in the timing belt assembly and replaced fans and other random stuff. They now believe it is the Flywheel, Transmission or clutch. I've told them I won't allow them to repair it at this point because I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

3. I'm already at 26 days in the shop a few more (30) and i'm qualified for a Lemon by the Time zone (Depending on how they qualify a "Day" in the shop. I'm not sure if it's by the hour. By the "Work hour" or by the actual 24 hour period. it would be helpful to know how they qualify a "day".

I did decide to nibble on their offer and I was appalled. They offered to give me a 4k credit towards getting out of my car. I bought my car 8 months ago for 43k I still owe roughly 38k for it. They were willing to give me Manheims (auction value) for the car which was 26,500.00 + $4000.00. Leaving me in the hole by more than I'm interested in.

I wouldn't be trying to get out of my car if it hadn't had the problems its been having.

It's not like I don't support the product. I mean in the last 3.5 years I've had 3 Jetta (GLS,GLX) (01,01,02) models, 1 GTI GLX (01), a 2001 S4, a 2002 S4 and a 2002 TT, then got rid of them both and got a 2003 TT which I currently have with my 93 Rover Mini British open classic. If they were willing to step up to the plate a little more, I'd be quite happy going into a 2004 S4. But I don't see that happening.

Needless to say I'm trying to figure out how to proceed from this point forward.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: i am starting on mine soon too but im 2 months due on the bbb lemon law for MI............

One of the problems i'm having is similar to yours.

When the vehicle is cold (ie cold outside) the vehicle bogs, runs horribly then shuts off.
it tends to take about 3 tries to start it.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:11 AM

Default That was actually one of the things I had a problem with...

the exhaust smelled very rich of unburned fuel. They tried replacing the ECU, but that didn't fix it.

Keep track of these things, and make sure that it is identified on each work order when you go to the dealer.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Gee, this sounds *VERY* familiar............

I took your advise and submitted a complaint with the A-BBB and requested buyback as my desired resolution. I'll keep ya posted.

What kind of hoops did you have to jump through?
just so i'm prepared.

Thanks in advance
/C
Old 01-27-2004, 02:16 PM

Default I guess I wouldn't call them hoops -

it just can take awhile for things to happen.

After you submit your claim over the phone, they will send you a packet with all of the information you provided typed up on some forms. You need to review this very closely, and make any corrections. I suggest that everything you send the BBB should be typed and very easy to follow.

After you submit your typed forms, they scan the documents and send them to AoA with your demand (repurchase, if I recall). I think AoA has something like 2 weeks or 4 weeks to respond (I don't recall, but the BBB will tell you). AoA will in all likelyhood deny the claim (I've never heard of them agreeing with the customer). You will then have the opportunity to go to arbitration. Do it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

From the time you elect to go to arbitration to when it happens is something like a month (maybe a bit less). The key thing to show at arbitration is repeatedly bringing the car to your dealer for the same problem(s), they don't fix them, AND it MUST decrease the value or safety of the car. Providing you have 1 and 2 number 3 is easy to prove.

If you want, I'll try to find the info that I made up for my case and will e-mail it to you.

Contact me at gjkasten@hotmail.com if you want.

Quick Reply: Advice (Lemon)