TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Advice/ thoughts from people who have swapped their old TTs for a new one.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice/ thoughts from people who have swapped their old TTs for a new one.

Has the dealer tended to work with you on the trade-in value of your old car? Ever find any hesitation with them to do this? I am sure I will have some negative equity in my lease but I am trying to minimize it.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2002, 10:14 AM
gio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you mean exactly?

If you were leasing, what does the residual of the old car matter?

Or are you trading in an old TT you own for a new, leased TT?

I plan on returning my old TT (leased) and buying
a new TT (buying this time).
Old 10-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Elder Member

I think he means if you trade it in prior to lease contract termination.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

correctamundo
Old 10-04-2002, 10:21 AM

You don't need one after a contract termination.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Elder Member

Default Well, one of several things could happen...

Are you upside down? if so, how upside down are you? How many months into your lease/how far from expiry? How far over/under in mileage?

1) They can absorb the negative equity into the next amount financed - this might work in terms of interest rate arbitrage, depending on money factors.
2) Instead of discounting the new vehicle, they can discount the price of the new vehicle by absorbing any negative equity in the old (this also has tax advantages if you pay sales tax on vehicle purchases where you live or if registration is based on the cost of the new vehicle)
3) If you have a lot of negative equity, you might consider having somebody assume your lease, rather than trading it in.

My guess is they will be willing to work with you, to make a sale.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default agreed and understand on all accounts

trying to see what peoples exp has been w/the TT. Have done this 2 times before and it worked out quite well, as all the mileage penatlies on a lease is usually more than what they apply to the actual value of a car (ie lease penalty .15 per mile vs .08 for depreciation). Plus dealers don't pay tax so right now the actual buyout on my car for a dealer is approx $31k what will a dealer give me for it? And how good of a deal are they working on a new TT? Those are the variables.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Elder Member

Default Ahhhh, sorry, misunderstood the question...

I have no answer to your actual question. I am afraid to know what you find out, though... I think Audi is VERY optimistic in setting their residuals - Audi's resale values suck eggs. :-(
Old 10-04-2002, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My buddy tried to trade in his 2002 TT with 4k miles on it because he was>>

gonna by an A6, and they offered him 30k for it. Needless to say, he sold it on his own. But the dealer out here sux A$$, so that's prolly alot of it. He had paid cash for the TT, so a least wasn't in the mix. If your dealer likes you, and they "believe" that you're going to keep buying cars from them every couple of years, I think they'd work with you. Good luck on it. What color, etc... for the next one?
Old 10-04-2002, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am afraid my residual value on my car will suck too

but I do have the fact that I paid full price on my car. My payments are very high, even though my residual on my lease is good, the money factor sux (relative to today's terms). So even if I walked out the door w/the same payment I would happy.

Quick Reply: Advice/ thoughts from people who have swapped their old TTs for a new one.