TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

All Weather TT Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Weather TT Tires

Hello,

I know, its been discussed before, but I'm looking for the latest and greatest on all weather replacement tires for my 2000 180TTQ. Looking in the archives I've seen references to Pirelli P7000 super sports; Michelin Pilot Alpin(winter only?; Dunlop MR2, and Continental Extreme Contact. Any other new ones out there (?). I do live in Wisconsin, but do not drive my TT during the big snows, but I also do not want to be left short during an unexpected snow storm.

Thanks!

Greg
Old 03-27-2003, 08:00 AM

I'm looking at Sumitomos right now -- a buddy has them and likes them.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:02 AM

Default I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on in November

and they have served me well though this last Chicago winter -- the handfull of times I've driven them through snow, I was very happy. Even with 4 -6 inches in the alley (The crusty, icy kind, since the alley absolutely never, ever gets plowed), they handle great.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:03 AM

I've got the Falkens...Been great here in Boston this winter...
Old 03-27-2003, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Toyo, Nokian, etc.

You'll find lots of opinions, as usual. I've heard and read lots of good things about these, more so than the Pirellis, (not that good in snow, howl when worn, etc)

I'm running the Dunlop Winter Sport M2s for winter, but can't wait for summer tires. They'd be a good choice though for winter tires.

I'd also highly recommend the Toyo Proxes Z1, www.toyo.com . I used these on an old jetta, and while they're not great in the snow, (they're Z rated after all), they're decent, and good tires overall. Can't figure out why more Audiworld people don't have them. A free "trial" period from Toyo as well. Not at TireRack.

The higher speed rated Nokian WR may be a good choice also, though less performance oriented.

Rich
'01 S4, nearly gone
'02 ALMS TT, nearly here!<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&url=%2Ftires%2Ftires.jsp%3FtireMake%3D Michelin%26amp%3BtireModel%3DPilot%2BSport%2BA%252 FS">Tire Rack: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S</a></li></ul>
Old 03-27-2003, 08:44 AM

Default IMO, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are the best...

Pirelli P7000 Supersports are really decent as well, and significantly cheaper than the Pilots.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:48 AM

Default I'm running Sumitomos in Madison, WI

Greg;

They are ultra-high performance All Season tires, rated second only to the Michelin All Season Pilot Sports... except the Sumis have longer tread life, better on snow and ice, and cost $99 each compared to $208 for the Michelins through the Tire Rack.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: All Weather TT Tires

I also drive a 2000TTQ and just replaced my Potenza with the Sumitomo's HTR+ and love them. They are so much more quiet, comfortable and handle great. I haven't had a chance to try them in the snow yet ( and i hope i won't for a while...) but so far they have perfomed perfectly on all levels....and they are only $105 a piece on Tirerack.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Nokian NRWs are an excellent all-weather tire. I've been running them

as snow/winter tires and they are incredible. Reality is that in Finland they are an all weather. Great grip in wet or dry and smooth and quiet.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Greg, I live in Waukesha (just west of Milwaukee)... I have "Ultra High-Perforamnce all-seasons"...

Sumitomo HTR+ to be exact... $99 each from Tire Rack. Had them for the 2nd half of winter on my 225QC and they are GREAT tires even in snow. I had no problems even in a UP Michigan snow storm. W/ Quattro and these tires you can tackle anything, and the price is right. Also, after driving these tires on some dry and wet pavement in decent temps, I will not be switching back to dedicated Summer tires, as performance seems to be just as good if not better w/ these tires as compared to the Pirelli P6000 summer tires I had on before (this is a SCARY tire in snow by the way). Dry grip is great for aggressive driving, sidewalls don't roll, excellent grip in the wet as well. If you're looking for an "Ultra High Performance All-Season," you can't beat the Sumitomo. I had them drop shipped to and installed at Mr. P's tire on Hwy 100 - talk to Rick. They use a touchless machine... the place isn't much to look at, but they were very careful and did a great job... I think it only cost me $40 for install, balance.
Where are you in Wisconsin BTW?

Quick Reply: All Weather TT Tires