TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Another Forge DV Testimonial - longish

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Forge DV Testimonial - longish

Arrived home from work and to my surprise, there sat on my desk a gleaming stainless steel object. MY FORGE IS HERE!!!

I ordered it a few days ago and it arrived sooner than expected - THANK YOU STRATMOSPHERE. My wife unpacked it, polished it and put it on my desk - SHE IS AWESOME.

I had a bunch of things to do so I put off installing the Forge til later.

Finally after dinner and playing with my son for a while it was his bedtime, I took him to bed with the bed time story "How to install a Forge DV". He concked(sp?) out before I got to page 3. I turned off the lights and headed straight to the garage.

The install took about 10 minutes. I'd rate myself as average when doing car related stuff, so anyone can do it. Most of the time was making sure I didn't break anything while putting the new DV in. The FORGE is quite a bit bigger than the OEM, so it was a tight fit!

The OEM DV I replaced was a rev N, replaced at the 10K mile service, and promptly went bad after about 500 miles or so.

I took the TT out for a test run and I immediately noticed the smooth power delivery. Others have said that their shifting seemed much better after the switch, and I too can attest to it. For the past 8 months, I thought I couldn't shift very well, but now it seems everything is better!

No more honking, and no more power surges. This is my first performance mod and I can't be happier with the results.

I also noticed a new sound. I did a few launches and heard a sound emminating from the rear of the car. Could it be the haldex geting to work and transferring the power to the rear wheels? It was a neat sound. Sort of like a deeper version of the turbo whistle.
Old 08-16-2001, 07:32 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a nice DV story, but a nicer Dad story...
Old 08-17-2001, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know the sound from the rear you're talking about...

I've just noticed it recently myself (after 11K miles!) I find if I turn off ESP and launch by feathering the clutch at about 4K rpms, I hear a very "gear-like" whine from the rear of the car. Whine starts just a second or two after letting up the clutch. My guess is it must be the Haldex doing its thing.