TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Another freakin' MAF question(long)....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another freakin' MAF question(long)....

So.....
Made an appointment to get oil changed this weekend. I'll be supplying my own oil(Mobil1), should cost around $42 for labor(no warranty, remember). This is my first trip to the brand new Scottsdale North Audi so I was planning on dropping it off & checking out some cars(also new Porsche, Mini, Bmw dealerships).

Cut to 20 minutes ago

After making my app. I start thinking about my car & decide to run to Radio Shack, get some electronic spray & clean my MAF. I've been getting some 3rd & 4th gear boost "hiccups" above 5000rpm. Also I have 53,000+ miles & feel it should be done. I start searching for "cleaning your MAF".
Now 20 minutes later I have these questions...
1)Seems the S4 people(compared to the TT forum) prefer soaking in 90%+ IPA as opposed to the non-residue spray. I was thinking of going with the IPA but then, I thought...
2)After reading many instructions on MAF cleaning I believe I have to remove the clip to the MAF, then , do I need to remove the two Torx screws(involving me going to the store to buy a Torx set) and the MAF would somehow slide out of the tube? or do I just remove the plastic tube that houses the MAF...and if so, how would I soak this thing in IPA. I would need to buy 4-5 bottles of IPA to"soak " this thing.
I'm just one of those people who like to know everything before I start attacking my beautiful car.
OR......

3)Should I just buy a new $35.00 VW MAF to replace my 50k+ MAF. And if so...is this something I could just install myself or should I just get the dealer to swap them out when it's in for it's oil change! Whew!!!!
Thanks!
Old 07-25-2002, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The first thing that will slow you down.........>>>

Is that the MAF is held in with Tamperproof Torx 20 screws. You need a special Torx. The MAC tool guy came by the store today and I scored one (They've got a hole drilled in them which matches a dimple in the torx screw). You can get them off with pliers I hear (BluTTo technique). I'm thinking of picking up a new one just to have. Will do a G per second run with a new one for comparisons on Monday. Cleaning with spray oughta be fine BTW. Seems to work fine for the TT guys!
Old 07-25-2002, 03:20 PM

Default hey you might want to do this..

the spray works great... but so will soaking in IPA.... but to remove the torx screws you need a tamper proof torx set...not the same as regular torx...i posted a link about 3 days ago on where to get them...either way should work... just stuff a rag down intake tube so you dont drop any screws down it...use a flathead to remove pin connector... easy job... i would remove the maf assembly either way...having torx tamper set just means you can remove the actual part withought taking off the whole body..speeds up the job... you need less ipa to soak it to...
Old 07-25-2002, 03:21 PM

hey Steve so its definitely a 20?
Old 07-25-2002, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

IPA sounds like a beer to me & I'm not soaking a car part in my IPA. What's IPA?
Old 07-25-2002, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After my first adventure with the MAF, when I took everthing apart,

I now simply lift up the top of the air filter cover and liberally spray with the non-residue spray, the TT is running like new...
Old 07-25-2002, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ooops...Nope...Must be a 26.....>>>

Sure looked like a 20, but I've got all that aluminum foil in the way!! Guess I'll exchange this one!
Old 07-25-2002, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

IsoProphyl Alcohol(sp)
Old 07-25-2002, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Rubbing alcohol
Old 07-25-2002, 03:41 PM

steve next sizes are 25 and 27...didnt see a 26 then it jumps to 30

Quick Reply: Another freakin' MAF question(long)....