TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Any one know if Audi plans on a STT (or is it TTS)?? Rumors are flying everywhere on this one...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000, 08:57 AM
A4Allan

Any one know if Audi plans on a STT (or is it TTS)?? Rumors are flying everywhere on this one...
Old 01-20-2000, 10:30 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Any one know if Audi plans on a STT (or is it TTS)?? Rumors are flying everywhere on this one..

Not only has the name of the bigger/faster/stronger TT not been announced, but whether or not it will ever be built is not known either. My opinion is that it will be built, and it will be called the TTS. The original prototype was called the TTS, so it seems logical that Audi would stay with that.
Old 01-20-2000, 11:02 AM
Mark Sirota

Default Re: Any one know if Audi plans on a STT (or is it TTS)??

My recollection is that the original show cars were the TT and TTS (Coupe and Spyder). Now that the droptop has been announced as a "roadster" rather than a "spyder", I'd bet a box of donuts that the name change was to avoid conflict with a later S-car.

I'll dig up a reference for the original show car names, if someone really wants me to.
Old 01-20-2000, 11:39 AM
Brad Willis

You are correct, and that is why I feel that they will use that TTS designation for the TT Plus. I guess that you'll have to keep those donuts. Don't eat them all in one sitting.
Old 01-20-2000, 01:19 PM
CarlC

Actually I believe the name for the potential TT super car with a reputed 300bph is called a "TTR".
Old 01-20-2000, 01:39 PM
cbobgo

where'd you hear that? thought the TTR was the roadster
Old 01-20-2000, 01:49 PM
CarlC

Default Re: where'd you hear that? thought the TTR was the roadster

It was in the rumor mill of Autoweek this summer in the issue with the roadster on the cover. They described the 225's as the "S" Models and the 300's as the "R" it was right next to the article about the "S4R" that 360bph monster of an A4 avante (wagon).
Old 01-20-2000, 05:44 PM
Mark Sirota

Default Re: where'd you hear that? thought the TTR was the roadster

I've got that issue right here -- AutoWeek, August 30, 1999, page 1 (short brief on the RS4):

"What might Audi do next? Senior Ingolstadt officials do not rule out plans for adding R power to the S3, S6, and S8, the last with a twin-turbocharged 4.2-liter V8. Rumors also link Audi's quattro offshoot with a TT Coupe sporting an upgraded 1.8-liter turbo four making close to 300 hp."

Nothing in there at all about naming of S-cars, other than that the Avant you describe is an RS4,
not an S4R.

Mark
Old 01-20-2000, 10:29 PM
Insider.

Frankfurt show 2000 - Hot TT (TTS or TTrs). Cars have been in develpoment since TT birth.
Old 01-20-2000, 11:26 PM
Victor F

I would have thought more STT inline with S4 S4 S6 S8...urk S2!

Quick Reply: Any one know if Audi plans on a STT (or is it TTS)?? Rumors are flying everywhere on this one...