TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Are any of these brake improvements over-kill for a regular street/spirited driver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are any of these brake improvements over-kill for a regular street/spirited driver?

SSL - would changing these make any difference (or over-kill)?

Brake Fluid - ? [motul]

Caliper Stiffening Kit - ? [tyrolsport stiffening kit]

Slotted Rotors - ? [ecs zinc plated]

Pads - [ferodo ds2500 instead of OEM]

Interested in day-to-day performance slightly/better than OEM.....

Would like to minimize spending if possible, but would fork out the money if it'll make a difference for my type of driving [definitely will never see a track :P]
Old 11-29-2007, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All those are good changes..>>

That will get you about as good as you're gonna get out of the stock braking system..

No problems or Gotchas that I can see..
Old 11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I fail to see what you are trying to improve since you also stress "minimize spending". What is

wrong with the OEM setup (in your mind)? As Steve said, all your changes are good, but just go OEM if you want to minimize spending. Of the list you have, I would say the SSL is the lowest "bang for buck" on the list, and the stiffening kit would be the next lowest.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I figure the extra spending ...

wouldn't be too big of a deal since I already need new rotors/pads, the rest of the little niceties are just things I read through the forums/archives but I'm not 100% if [for me] would make a difference since I have no experience with "better" equipment (and all of those things seem relatively cheap, I'm not sure how much SSLs would cost though).

I don't mind spending if they will make an improvement for safety (which is my primary goal), but I don't want to spend unnecessarily also.

Basically, my inexperience with these products/upgrades is why I asked I'm not sure exactly if they'd make a difference [for my driving]. If they will, and improves safety, and aren't ridiculously expensive, I'm willing to change from oem
Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Given your priorities, I would pass on the SSLs. The stiffeners will improve your pad

wear/life, so are a "worthy" job.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Default WHAT IS YOUR GOAL? That is the question.

I'd rather spend money on braking before I spend money on speed. The car is already fast enough.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Cost is minimal though for the front 2....>>>

No need for SSl's on the rear since they're only 4 inches long...:-)
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: WHAT IS YOUR GOAL? That is the question.

My goal is to improve safety by increasing braking ability (primarily in wet weather if that matters). This is ultimately going to along with better tires for wet weather (possibly F1s).

Otherwise, I'm not sure how each component would make the braking system differ.... thus the post no experience with those upgrades :P
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is there a specific brand that you'd recommend for front SSLs?

Would a change in the brake fluid be advisable?

It doesn't seem too expensive to change them out...?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Most are similar in quality..>>

Being an important safety item. Goodrich is a well known name. Stainless lines will improve brake feel, as will a good high performance fluid. The Motul you mentioned is a good choice with a high boiling point. The difference between a Cheap $4 quart of Autozone fluid, and a $12 bottle of Motul is really minimal in the big scheme of things..

Quick Reply: Are any of these brake improvements over-kill for a regular street/spirited driver?