TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

anyone chipped 2001 225 TT w/immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone chipped 2001 225 TT w/immobilizer?

I recently spoke to Audi Performance and Racing about getting my TT working with my spare ecu/chip. I was told that I need to use a new vag tool and that my best bet was to drive there and do it with them. They are in Auburn, Al and I'm in Atlanta, Ga so that's about a 4 hour round trip. I was told it was tricky with the 2001s and that they have been having problems. I just don't want to drive for 4 hours and then find out they can't get it working.

Does anyone have a chipped 2001 225 TT?
Old 11-29-2000, 09:09 AM
Elder Member

Default I'd be surprised if anyone posts....I've been asking about this for a while...

I have an MTM chip in a "K" box ECU with the imobilizer on order and I'm waiting to try some instructions I have. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea if the instructions will work. They are decidedly NOT tricky which makes me suspicious that they won't work. They are not specifically for the TT, but are for VWs with imobilizers and I was hoping that they didn't reengineer it for an Audi.

Here's a link to the VW service bulletin I have. I would love to get a report that this works or doesn't work before I try it.

See page 28

<a href="http://tech.vw.com/pdf/v019911.pdf" target="_new">Anti-theft imobilizer ODB</a>
Old 11-29-2000, 09:10 AM
Ego

Default I'm still waiting on my new ECU/chip from APR due to this problem (more)

My problem is actually that they can't get another ECU like mine anymore. Mine has a different connector than the new ones. They changed the connectors at some point in time. Anyways, its been about a month since I ordered, and still no resolution (they never shipped the product, but never charged me yet either).

I had no idea the problem was going on though. My only complaint about APR was that they never called me to tell me this was happening. I waited for around 2 weeks, finally started to wonder where my new ECU was, and called them. I know its not APR's fault or anything, but they could have called to let me know there was a problem.

At any rate, I'm willing to bet I'll never see a resolution, and never see a new ECU. I'm likely just stuck with what I got, since I'm not willing to chip my stock ECU. ah well.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:27 AM
Rest In Peace

Default so i was told by APR that there was only 6 of us on....

About this problem. I guess that makes 3 of us. My question is with all of the chip makers that look at this forum, maybe one of them can confirm this. I would move to a different manufacturer if they told me their product works.
Additionally, when i spoke to APR they said you can identify if your TT had the immobilzer by looking at your key. If there was a "W" on the key you had the immobilizer. At our TT lunch this weekend almost everyone had a "W" on their key and most had been chipped. Confused? Me too. Someone please help the confused and chipless!

BTW- when were your TT's built? Mine was 04/00 and has no ESP but all the other mod's.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:35 AM
Elder Member

Default I think the real test is whether your imobilizer light illuminates on the tach..

..when you start the car. Mine does and I suspect that I do indeed have the imobilizer.

BTW, I don't think the imobilizer issue has anything to do with the chip manufacturers. The imobilizer module is a seperate component in the car from the ECU, and the ECU, not the chip, has to be properly matched with the imobilizer module before the car will start. I think all of the chip manufacturers are facing the same issue.

This, of course, only effects those who want to keep their OEM ECU because you could send your current ECU to have the chip inserted and it will still be matched to your imobilizer.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My key has the W as well, Oct 00 build date 225coupe
Old 11-29-2000, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does anyone have *absolute* fact that the TT even utilizes the immobilizer?

I'm thinking that the US models do not, but perhaps in Euro TTs only. Sure the spare plastic key has *something* in it, we all saw the x-ray. But is it an immobilizer chip? And if so, does it do *anything* in our cars?

A test that I keep meaning to do is to do what it says in the manual (don't have a page # as I don't have the car today). And that is that each switchblade key will remember individual and different A/C settings, meaning that it somehow can distinguish each key. If this proves true, then perhaps the immobilzer chip is utilized in some fashion, but maybe not for, well... immobilizing the car.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:55 AM
Elder Member

Default I'm surprised that nobody so far has had an experience with this and can give a..

definitive answer. Hopefully I'll have more light to shed on the whole thing when I put this new ECU in.

I'm thinking about the following strategy when I try this out:

1. Drop the new ECU in, turn the car on for a minute or two so adaptation values can be set and then try starting the car. Unless I'm mistaken, this should NOT work if the imobilizer is indeed working.

2. Connect the VAG and follow the instructions I have for matching the ECU. Then turn the car off and follow step 1 again.

3. If I'm still not starting, then I'm will weep uncontrolably while I pack up the ECU for shipment back to Stratmosphere.

Actually, I'll probably see if there is more trouble-shooting I can do with various sources before I give up.

Whadaya think of that plan?
Old 11-29-2000, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is no such thing as a TT w/immobilizer in the US to date, stop worring about it because the

only car that has it in the US is the 2001 A6.
Old 11-29-2000, 10:06 AM
Elder Member

Default What is your source for this information? I REALLY want to believe that this is true...

...because this is the last thing I want to worry about.

If your assertion is true, then test #1 in my plan below should work fine...true?

Quick Reply: anyone chipped 2001 225 TT w/immobilizer?