TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone have Gas lid and trunk button problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have Gas lid and trunk button problems?

today my gas lid and trunk buttons would not work so I went down to the dealer to get it checked out, a guy jiggled a wire and it started working again, but i still made an appointment to get the system checked out. Anyone out there with similar problems?
Old 02-12-2001, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Anyone have Gas lid and trunk button problems?

Happened once. Used the manual release in trunk never happened again.
Old 02-12-2001, 04:39 PM

<---<holding up hand.> "I have Gas"...phew.....yes...sure is a problem..
Old 02-12-2001, 04:56 PM

Phew is right! I can smell it all the way from here! Here take some of my BEANO...
Old 02-12-2001, 05:19 PM

Default Recently had the opposite; would not latch down.

The striker, which looks like what's on a house door latch stuck in the retracted position.

A little jimmying and cleaning with a q-tip got it working. Didn't lube it, but might try WD-40 to clean it if it recurrs.

It was an interesting time to check out the manual release technique. It's in the manual.
Hardest part was prying open the access panel; the key works if you don't have a screwdriver.
Old 02-12-2001, 05:21 PM

Default Yes

I had the problem once...pulled into the gas station and couldn't open the gas or the trunk from inside the car. I openned the truck with the key fob release and the gas lid manually. Filled the tank and drove to work. When I got to work everything worked fine agin.
Old 02-12-2001, 06:03 PM

Default TT anomaly similar to light lock problem...at least for us. Fix seemed to be...

1) close both doors, 2) start the engine, 3) turn off ignition - try again.

This has happened to us once. Performed the above seguence (a reset of some sort, I guess) and voila: switches works again.
Old 02-12-2001, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default gas lid is always frozen shut, buttons still work; DOES this happen to anyone else???

It seems to me like an engineering blunder...
Instead of making the entire cap circle, they stuck that small square latch on the end. When the snow melts and water runs down in there, the temp of the metal gas cover is much lower than the car and the H20 freezes down in there. There also is no lip to stick your finger in a gain some leverage to pry it open with.

I noticed that the aluminum metal is much colder than the rest of the car when I took it to a car wash one day. I sprayed the car and the water ran off, but the second the water hit the gas cap if froze over the entire thing creating an ice shell.

I have actually been seen at the guess station giving my car a blow-job so to speak, huffing warm air on the gas cap to try and melt the ****er open. Ice scrapper is too big to fit in there to break up ice and station didn't have any deicer. Now I carry a can but don't like spraying that **** on my car!
Old 02-13-2001, 03:34 AM
Elder Member

Default At least yours was still broken when you showed it to your dealer.

Mine self repaired and has not given me a problem since.
Old 02-13-2001, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This happens to me all the time

Since December, when it gets very cold, my fuel lid will not pop open when I press the button. I just pop the trunk, pull the cable, and pry open the cap with the tips of my bare fingers. Usually takes about 10 seconds to get it open, not a big deal. No, my fingers do not fit in the crack around the lid, but the action is just enough to get it to pop open.

I sprayed WD-40 on the spring to keep water from freezing in it.

Quick Reply: Anyone have Gas lid and trunk button problems?