TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone have vibration problems when using 8MM Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have vibration problems when using 8MM Spacers?

I just got a set, and didn't seem to notice any vibration the 1st day, but now I get quite a bit of vibration in the steering wheel!

Maybe I rorqued stuff wrong, or maybe it's from using the spacers. Anyone else have this problem?

FYI: The spacers are 8MM w/ no lip. They sit tight around the existing hub, but use up most of the existing lip on the hub, so the wheels don't have as much lip to hold on to.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:34 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thats the problem......

And depending on where the hubcentric ring is in your particular wheel you may not have any centering of your wheel to the spacer/hub. You need to measure how far in the centering ring exists on your wheels and compare with what protrudes from the hub or simply pop off the center cap and see if the wheel has any part of the flange supporting it. My wheels hubcentric ring was inset enough that I could not exceed a 4mm spacer without losing any contact and support from the hub. Only solution is to have spacers with a flange extending the hubs flange.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you can also flip the centering ring so the bevel faces towards the center cap

instead of towards the hub. That way you get a flat surface to rest on the hub.

ECS has an article on this somewhere on their website.

You might also check and make sure the spacer is true... I've heard of quite a few of them being off a bit and not sitting flush with the hub or the wheel face.

Also.. be sure to torque the wheels down while still in the air with no weight on them!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default here is more info

<a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/HR/support/8mm_issues.html">8mm spacer help</a>

and

<a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/HR/support/">spacer general help</a>
Old 06-10-2005, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the help! I'll flip em tonight, and torque in the air >>

I always thought you were supposed to hand tighten in the air, drop the car, and THEN torque... is that wrong?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default put the spacer in with the bevel in the correct way. cut a piece of paper about 1/4" by 17.5mm.

then wrap it around the hub sliding it into the spacer. depending upon how thick of a paper you are using, it may be or may not be a tight fit. you want a semi-tight fit so the spacer will be completely centered within the hub. this will keep the spacer centered long enough to get the wheel on and tighten. over time, the paper will naturally deteriorate, but served its purpose.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no.. thats not generally wrong.. but 5 and 8mm spacers require different rules

because there is so little of the hub left for the wheel to center on, if you hand tighten then drop the car down to torque, the weight of the car will possibly shift the wheel enough that its not hubcentric anymore.

If they still vibrate after this... check the spacers to make sure they aren't bent.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Bill, i'll give that a shot too. Have you had 8MM's?

and had the vibration too? Did that solve the problem long-term?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Dani =o)
Old 06-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yup. i had 8mm and had the same issues. also, i'm using 5mm now..but don't seem

to have those issues. don't know if it was the 8mm version or the extra weight that throws it off. could be. but the paper trick is a simple solution to center it.

i would think that they would make the spacer exact to the hub so there's no movement, but there is ever so slight movement that would generate vibration at around 70-80mph.

Quick Reply: Anyone have vibration problems when using 8MM Spacers?