TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone install their own brake pads?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install their own brake pads?...

Question: How hard is it to screw up while installing the pads. Ive never worked on a car before but im not an idiot and im pretty good at figuring things out (i can build a computer). Is there a good chance i would really screw my car up or is brake pad installation fairly simple and straightforward? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The only tricky part is getting the rear pistons to retract...

in the calipers. You need a C clamp or the special Audi brake tool to do this easily.

Otherwise it's a piece of cake.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:51 PM

Default well........

I've never been a true mechanic but I'm getting to learn (can swap front end in around 30mins now). I just did my front pads and was kinda scared but it's ok - they seem fine and I've done some canyon runs since so fingers crossed they're ok
Old 08-14-2002, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've installed brakes a zillion times. That said, if it's your first time I would have someone

with experience watch over you.

Certainly jack and jack stand safety is important as well as proper torque on wheel lugs. There are also "tricks" and tips you'll need, like retracting the pistons in the caliper (especially the rear ones that need to rotate. Special tools (for rear brake pistons) make life easy as well as products to "glue" the pads to the calipers so they don't squeak.

I am not saying you're "not smart enough" by any measure. I know this sounds stupid but brakes are serious business. They are very simple to do, but just have a supervisor the first time to make sure...
Old 08-14-2002, 01:59 PM

Default Re: I've installed brakes a zillion times. That said, if it's your first time I would have someone

the problem is that i dont really trust a place to do my brake pads. a lot of places have never had a car like mine in their garage and they charge way too much. how do you know how much torque to put on the wheel lugs?
Old 08-14-2002, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should not use a "C" clamp to retract the rear pistons

There is a cheap tool that Pep boys sells. It's square (multi piston type) tool that you can use. You find the side of the square that fits the groves, holes or whater in the piston , then with a ratchet (that attaches to the tool) rotate the piston clockwise into the caliper bore. The front pistons can be carefully pressed in with a large "C" clamp of large channel lock pliers.

Make sure you account for excess brake fluid that raises the level in the master cylinder
Old 08-14-2002, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

90 lbs on the lugs.. You need a torque wrench... Do you have a buddy who has tools?
Old 08-14-2002, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree, a first time attempt should have an experienced person looking over your shoulder.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What's the reason for no "C"clamp on the rears? Just curious.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, you're right...the tool really needs to engage with the slots so you can screw the piston in.

Quick Reply: Anyone install their own brake pads?...