TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone know a good tint shop in MA/RI area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know a good tint shop in MA/RI area?

Also ... does anyone know if most tint shops provide a decent warranty to complement the job itself in case of bubbling, etc? Anything else that I should consider - i.e. legality, etc.?
Old 01-16-2001, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A good shop will give you a warranty...................and..........

"care and feeding" instructions...e.g., Don't roll the windows down for two days, use only tint safe window cleaner, etc... A good shop will only install tint that's legal for your State.

In Maryland (where I am) It's 35%.. They even put a sticker on the tint regarding it being "Maryland Legal 35% Tint"... I sold my last (also tinted) car and it passed MD inspection with no problem because it was legal.
Old 01-16-2001, 07:28 AM

Default That brings up one more question ....

what does the % tint mean exactly? Would 35% mean that only 35% of the light passes through the tint? I think that's how someone had explained it to me before.
Old 01-16-2001, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Looked on ask.com... Type in "State Window Tinting Laws"

Explanation of the State Law Summary Chart

KEY

Type= Film (LT % refers to the film itself)

Net (LT % refers to the combined LT of film & glass)
Vague (language is unclear, legislative intent is unclear, or interpretation is uncertain, any information following is subject to change or interpretation.)

Windshield = Presumably, NR tinting is permitted above the AS-1 line. If the law specifies only the AS-1 line, AS-1 appears. If AS-1 or specified inches appears, the AS-1 is assumed and only the number at inches down appears.

(Note: NR is used in lieu of "No, Any, or a specific percentage" when the law permits unspecified "nonobstructive" or Transparent" tinting materials. In these cases, the legality of tinting inevitably depends upon each officer's discretion.)

Front Sides = No film, or the actual percentage of LT Permitted. (Note: Because they may vary from state to state, manufacturer's tolerances (ie. + / - 3% LT) are not listed on this chart, nor are they included in these LT numbers.)

MPV = Multi Purpose Vehicle. A vehicle used for passengers on a truck chassis.

Back Sides = No film, or the actual percentage of LT permitted.

Rear = No film, or the actual percentage of LT permitted.

Mirrors (Left & Right required outside) = Yes or No.

(Note: Usually, a Yes means that dual outside mirrors are required if the back window is to be tinted.)

Certification Required: Yes or No.

(Note: This refers to a requirement for manufacturers to certify the films they plan to sell before shipping them into the state.)

Stckr/Loc- (Sticker/Location)

No (no sticker is required)

Rec (sticker recommended)

Specific (the state requires unique language & design, which may entail precise wording and sizing)

(1) Driver (the sticker is required between the film and glass on the driver's side window)

(2) Door (the sticker is required on the inside of the driver's side doorjamb)

(3) All (the sticker should be put between the film and glass on each tinted window)

Recommended (due to "officer discretion," a sticker can help officers identify legal tint more easily)

Locations: Driver's window, All windows tinted with film; or Driver's left door jamb

Medical Exemption: Yes or No.