TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone notice a difference with the FMIC vs DSMIC? Also>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone notice a difference with the FMIC vs DSMIC? Also>>

anyone have any hard numbers from a VAG run, to compare pre and post values to PROVE there is a gain?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it is not a gain, rather the lack of loss. FMIC is much better than two little

SMIC out of the airflow.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm having a similar discussion further on the page. FMIC makes a difference, there is no doubt

about it and someone here must have a temp readout of before and after...although its hard to compare because it takes a while to install the fmic so before and after could be affected. BUT...you can not go wrong with a larger core a better position and possible a better flow. In my opinion you will only notice a big difference in hot weather. The outside temps and the amount of mods will dictate the need for an FMIC. There are also upgrated DSMIC which claim to provide similar results to that of an FMIC, but I can not recall who makes them.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default at a given charge temp it is a gain...

I know, semantics, but hey, I suppose I'd like to look at the glass as half-full whenever possible.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it is a gain over SMIC for sure ;-)
Old 06-15-2005, 10:24 AM

Default yep, over stock, which is how most modifications are measured...

but who am i to talk... i'm still putting along at 180 horsepower. and only one SMIC. =)
Old 06-15-2005, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

..and some are a loss at any temps Most people don't bother looking at the flow characteristics.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What I have been reading>>>>

elsewhere is that aftermarket SMIC's are much better than FMIC;s for numerous reasons. Some of the main reasons are most FMIC use horizontal cooling action vs. vertical, which is much more efficient, there is a pressure drop associated with the FMIC, it blocks 45-60% of the radiator, and is much more susceptible to damage being exposed to the elements. And several Audi owners have dynoed with several aftermarket SMIC setups vs. FMIC, and have found that the charge temp is 20 degrees lower with FMIC but coolant temp is 30 degrees higher. Now there is no doubt FMIC is more efficient than factory SMIC, but aftermarket SMIC seem to be better all around. What some other peoples take on this?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:34 AM

Default I read the same article>>

incidentially, written by someone wanting to sell their upgraded SMIC product. Not sure if this SMIC is on the market yet, but my curiosity is piqued to say the least. It is reportedly less expensive than a quality FMIC for my 180HP TT, and doesn't block the radiator. Though my engine is stock, I can feel a noticeable power loss once things heat-up, which on a hot day is almost immediate. I'd like to improve the IC before chipping, for certain.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Personally I would agree with one exception for 180s (not sure about 225s)>>.

Unless the pancake pipe is removed then the gains in lower temp are there but a major restriction is also left in place. on the 180s a FMIC removes this major restriction. Freeing us some HP in the process.

But I have to agree that a FMIC is prone to damage more so than an SMIC. Also, there is a concern about the reduction in cooling ability of the radiator. however, we must remember, all numbers can be swayed.

Quick Reply: Anyone notice a difference with the FMIC vs DSMIC? Also>>