TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone with stereo experiance have a questions about my amp + crossovers....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with stereo experiance have a questions about my amp + crossovers....

I have been installing my new speakers in the TT and run across something I was a little unsure about.

The MB Quart speakers I have come with a crossover that has the following connections, W-, W+, T-, T+, INH-, INH+, INL-, INL+. W means woofer, T means tweeter. I am assuming that INH means InHigh and INL means INLow. My question is this. My amp does not seperate high and low, it just has connections for Front Right, Front Left, etc. Do I just run 2 sets of connections one going to the INLow, and one going to INHigh from each output of the amp? The rears do not seperate like this, so it is just the front with this crossover.

Or do I run one connection from the amp to the crossover- and if so, which one do I run it to? Finally there is a jumper that reads Biwire, and standard, that might also have something to do with this equation.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Elder Member

Default You only have one connection from each x-over to the amp

You are connecting the woofer and tweeter to the x-over and then the x-over to the amp.

Make sense?

Didn't the MB's come with a set of instructions? Does the x-over have custom settings you can change?
Old 12-07-2002, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default answers...

I am connecting the tweeter and woofer to the x-over. The MB Quart X-Over has 2 inputs though, one for high and one for low- in case I want to bi-amp the crossover (one channel for high, one channel for low). I think I figured it out, I plan to only run standard wiring and there is a jumper to set it up where it only uses one of the inputs. Otherwise if I set it up to run bi-wires it runs 2 seperate lines from the x-over to ONE channel of the amp. I attached a link from MB Quart about this... it is better then myself explain it...<ul><li><a href="http://www.mbquart.com/ma-faq.htm#a10">http://www.mbquart.com/ma-faq.htm#a10</a</li></ul>
Old 12-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Elder Member

Default Correct, that's what I said. :)

Connect each piece to the x-over, then connect the amp to the x-over.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default larry a word about the racks.. to the amp

Ive been bidding for your racks but I dropped out cause the price was getting to be to steep...besides I need the ski attachment...so I jumped off...
sal
Old 12-07-2002, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dude there are 3 diffrent configs here... 2 of them could work for me...

I need to know which one to use... PLUS I am assuming that if I do the single connection I can connect the input to EITHER the high or the low, but I am not 100% on this one. I could make up a 2nd set of cables for the dual cable config, but I am not 100% sure I have enough of the good cable for that setup, we will see. Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2002, 09:12 PM
Elder Member

Default sorry. . .

I never got around to taking the TT skiing so I never got the ski racks for it.

I know, it has gotten quite high. I have a feeling their might be a bidding frenzy on Wed or Thursday, at least based on the previous racks that have been sold.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:32 PM
Elder Member

Default Not sure . . .

Tom, compare the x-over with the pics. Is that what your x-over looks like? If it it, then connect the wires as the first diagram shows for the single wire hook-up.

This is what MB says about bi-wire:

Bi Wire - A wiring technique where a separate wire is used for the high pass and low pass crossovers. The signal is split at the amplifier so there is less electronic interaction between the high and low pass filters, instead of at the crossover. Since there is more wire run, there is less resistance and better transfer of current, resulting in better imaging, tighter bass and more transparent highs. MUSiCOMP crossover had the ability to wire the speakers to the crossovers in this manner.