TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone tried this Porsche Boxster S brake upgrade for the TT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 12:27 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Point taken. Not custom to the TT.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:27 PM

Default I believe Larry meant that...

each Stoptech kit includes caliper pistons sized for the particular application-- be that Audi, Chevy, etc.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:28 PM
Elder Member

Default LOL, and they say they are better than a two-piece -->

<ul><li><a href="http://www.us.porsche.com/english/boxster/boxsters/safety/brakingsystem.htm">http://www.us.porsche.com/english/boxster/boxsters/safety/brakingsystem.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-17-2001, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So they are good calipers - no one is arguing that point - BUT

one - they were designed to be used with a Porsche Boxster S with their master cylinder, brake proportion etc. If you check into the StopTech's - you'll realize that they bascially took Porsche's Big Red brakes and modified them - they use the same pads. Again - the two piece rotor is of more importance. It cools better, it floats therefore warping them is very hard to do. The rotors included with the Porsche kit are far inferior.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:01 PM

Default 2 piece rotors are not necessary. It is a marketing gimmick. HPA and the Movit high HP TT's both..

use Porsche brake components. Quite simply they are the best in the world and carry that reputation for decades for a reason. The regular Boxster calipers are off the old 968, so they aren't worth the money. However, the stringent tests performed on the 996 make it perfect for the sub 300 HP TT's on this forum as it is lighter than the 996 and have the same torque. Porsche brake patents are also to numerous to list. Point is that it is a viable option, but I'd like to see some head to head comparison with the Stoptechs as it is a really good system. I'd reserve judgement on what is the best until there is some real world data.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:13 PM

I think they are referring to a two piece caliper vs. a patented monoblock.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:18 PM

Den - I sent an email to your home address this a.m.
Old 10-17-2001, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree that Porsche brakes are some of the best there is

but come on - two peice rotors a marketing gimmick? I doubt you'll see any single rotors on cars that see alot of track time - even Porsches. Are they really necessary for the road? Probably not - but IMO you need to look at your braking system and a "kit" not just an assemblage of different peices no matter who manufactures them.
Old 10-17-2001, 03:20 PM

What or the operational advantages of a 2 piece rotor and how would that benefit a TT?
Old 10-17-2001, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One of the primary problems with the TT brakes IMO is that they have a lack of air circulation

this is due to the intercooler and lack of any ducting going to the brakes. Several people here have warped their rotors due to overheating them. This is in part due to good pads on stock so-so rotors but also in part due to lack of cooling. The 2 piece rotor of the StopTech's addresses this issue with larger surface area and much better venting as the air gets drawn in and exits through the rotor above the hub. The StopTechs also have inconel pins which are extremely heat resistant and aluminum hats which dissepate heat better.

Can I provide any HARD data to back this up - nope I can't and it's only my opinion. I will also say that the stock caliper and good rotors with upgraded pads, good fluid and SS brake lines will likely improve braking but will not adequately address the heat issue. IMO the larger 4 pot caliper will only increase the heat on a stock sized rotor and make the situation worse.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried this Porsche Boxster S brake upgrade for the TT?