TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

AoA complaint form

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AoA complaint form

Audi of America
Client Relations
3499 West Hamlin Road
Rochester Hills, MI, 48309
Date 1/23/07
Re: VIN Your VIN

cc: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Vehicle Safety Division
400 7th Street, SW Rm. 5232
Washington, D.C. 20590

Audi Client Relations:
I'm writing with what must be a familiar issue to you now. Our 2001 Audi TT Coupe developed problems with it's gauge cluster just after the warranty period ended in 2003, and the problems have grown progressively worse, causing a serious safety issue with operation of the vehicle. I have copied the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration on this letter because of the high rate of failure and safety issues associated with the gauge cluster problem on 1999-2005 Audis.
Audi AG and Audi of America have been aware of gauge cluster failure problems for several years, and the same part (gauge cluster printed circuit board) has been problematic on A4, A6, and other Audi cars built between 1999 and 2005. Audi has reportedly refused to extend warranty consideration to owners affected by the dangerous and endemic failure of this poorly-designed and manufactured part. Audi UK chose to replace all identically failed clusters free of charge in the United Kingdom.
I'm writing to ask Audi of America to cover the cost of a replacement gauge cluster for our 2001 Audi TT. Our fuel and temperature gauges no longer function and the multifunction liquid crystal display does not indicate readable information. As such, there is no way to know the level of fuel in the car or the engine operating temperature. The speedometer and tachometer function only sporadically, providing no way to dependably monitor engine or vehicle speed.
After considerable effort researching this issue, I've found that Audi in the United Kingdom (Audi UK) has offered no-cost replacement to owners affected by gauge cluster failures, due to the dangerous nature of a failed gauge cluster. I'm asking for the same consideration here in the United States, and due to the hazards presented by this defect and Audi's refusal to issue a voluntary recall.
The part in question has failed on a sizable percentage of 1999-2005 Audi vehicles, according to Audi's own service centers, and may fail on any pre-2005 car at any time, regardless of warranty status.
Audi reportedly resolved the design and manufacturing problems that cause these gauge cluster failures after the 2003 model year and placed upgraded service parts into the dealer channel, according to our local Audi dealer and service provider. Despite these remedial steps, Audi has offered no special consideration to owners affected by the problem outside of the vehicle's normal warranty and expects owners to pay over $700.00, plus the cost of installation to replace a part that was poorly designed and has a very high failure rate.
Because the defect causes a dangerous operating condition, including lack of dependable indications of fuel, temperature, engine speed or vehicle speed, the vehicle is unsafe as designed.
I will accept nothing less than full warranty coverage at our local dealership (Your local dealer) of a cluster replacement to restore safe operability of our vehicle.
As the prevalence of the Internet as a research tool for consumers grows, this problem and requests for consideration and refunds will only increase. My reasonable request should be honored; Audi clearly knows about this abnormally high failure rate, and has taken appropriate action in other countries to rectify the problem. Audi and it's dealers are aware of the dangerous nature of this failure, and the exact reasons for the problem, which have been corrected in subsequent revisions of the cluster part.
There should be no other response to this request but agreement to replace the cluster at no charge. Additionally, Audi should consider a recall of the affected parts to ensure consumer and motorist safety.
Sincerely yours,

Your Name
encl: Citations of Instrument cluster problems
The following are a small number of the independent resources I found while researching this issue. Each is cited separately, but several hundred independent claims of cluster failure are available on the Internet. Audi has addressed these problems in the United Kingdom, and must now address them for me and the thousands of affected Audi owners in the United States.
1. Audi UK Repairs failed 1999-2005 clusters free of charge:
http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=56067
2. Small sample of Audi TT Owners with failed clusters:
https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1555652.phtml
3. BBA Remanufacturing Rebuilds these "Problem" clusters:
http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=audi_tt_dashboard_failing
4. Edmunds CarTalk Forums - Audi TT Failed Clusters:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0e9e94
5. British Broadcasting Corporation Consumer Watchdog Segment:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/transport/transport_20060124.shtml
Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I replace 'gauge cluster' with 'headlight switch' ??
Old 01-23-2007, 12:13 PM

I don't think those two part numbers are interchangable.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:27 PM

Default given a safety issue, should be no different than the redesigned control arms...

replaced for everyone that wanted the recall done at Audi's expense. The cluster failure is MOST DEFINATELY a safety concern! You have constructed a very well written letter that states the facts clearly, without the use of force in the tone. I think you have a winner here.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Should I include your modlist at teh bottom of the form?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Should I include your modlist at teh bottom of the form?

no that might be frowned upon as i didnt write this letter i forgot where i found it but i thought i would use it if my cluster went bad. and i suggest everyone use this lette even if you already paid Audi to fix your cluster..as its Audis fault for making junk clusters
Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

oh thank you for posting this! mine is on the way out... again... for the 3rd time...