TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

APEXi and boost controllers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 04:39 PM
gio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APEXi and boost controllers

I know that many people here consider it a dangerous mod to make on a TT, but has anyone here tried it?

My problem is that my TT is running too rich with a Garrett chip and I'd also like more control over my engine and the various chip manufacturers
don't give you much choice. For example, I know there is a lot of contraversy over the 180 FMIC because the 180 chips won't take advantage of it.
An APEXi boost controller and some of their other products seem like they would work for me.

What do people think?
Will they work on a TT? I've heard that they the APEXi systems don't work on drive-by-wire systems, but that may be wrong.

My car is almost out of warranty and I wouldn't consider doing this anytime soon, but it is something I'm considering for the future.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:56 PM

Default well look at it this way....running rich wont pop your motor...

If your after more power why not try a turbo upgrade or even use a 100cell cat.. Its is probably quite feasible to get an APexi working but dont know anybody with a TT who has done it...you might want to try Vortex and see if any VWs with the 1.8T have gone this route.. I think to save the hassle and experimenting unless you have alot of money and dont need the car as a daily driver try a more conventional approach.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:29 PM
gio

Default I guess it comes down to money...

The next mods I plan on doing is Bilstein shocks + springs. That'll be about 1k with installation.
Eventually, I'd like to get Stoptech brakes.

Now, the only reasonable options left, especially to increase hp is:

- new intake: most people say that even at $250 its still not worth it because it most cases it actually hurts performance. Right my TT is probably getting enough air.

- K&N filter: $50, and I've heard some bad things about them. I may try one out though. The S4 people seem to love them. I don't they give you the 7-9 hp they advertise though.

- Intercooler (FMIC or 225): at >1k this does not seem to be worth it, especially without a turbo
upgrade. I wouldn't likely see any hp gain anyways.

- Turbo upgrade: close to 2k. Even for a K04, with installation its pretty expensive. If I'm going to spend that much money, I'd rather just get PES stage 3 kit and go all out with new injectors and a chip tuned to take advantage of it.

Right now, I *KNOW* that my TT is not running at its peak performance with the current setup it has now. It frustrates me to know that its a simple matter of tuning (the Garrett chip). I don't want to buy a larger turbo to fix the fact that my TT is running rich.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:36 PM

Ive got the ABT panel filter..its ok...not as oily as the KN..