TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi 2001 TT door wedge alignment Part#

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jeff.
I am out of town for 4 days. When I get back I will measure the two parts side by side.
It appears to me that the new parts are larger on the inside.
John
Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Jeff,
I finally measured the old and new parts that I ordered from you.
Please see the attached photos for the dimensions.
The new part is quite a bit larger inside than the old part.
The outside dimensions are the same.
I was wondering if there is a new corresponding part that is on the door that fits inside this new wedge piece, that I should order and replace.
I tried to take this piece off to look up the part number but this is not easy as I would have to remove the door panel, ect.
Attached Images     
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Banned

I just got in the wedge that I ordered that is bolted to the door for your car. I wondered if it wider from top to bottom to fit the newer wedges that stay on the body (the ones I sold you). It looks like the wedge I have measures out to fit the broken wedge you took off your car. So now I'll have to call Audi, but I have specs and pictures now. I'll figure out what the problem is on the fitment and get back to you.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Jeff.
By the way the VIN is TRUUT28NX11001081
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Banned

I talked with the Audi help line on these door wedges #27 that go on the chassis side of your car. While the rep acknowledged that the part went from 8N7837031B to C to D for both sides, they are the correct part for that location for your TT. We went over the pictures that you sent me, that I sent to him. He took some from his stock and found they measured the same as what your photos show. I asked if the wedge on the door is supposed to be changed to match, he said no. There is no newer part number for the wedge on the door #24 nor is there a bulletin stating it needs to be replaced to match the wider wedge that is now sold.

What I wondered, and can't find in the Etka parts program, is the foam on the outside of the wedge you took off your car, shown in your first picture. It goes between the plastic wedge and black housing. Etka does show the gasket #28 and I believe that might include the plastic housing too, and maybe the foam that is not shown that is around the wedge 27 from your picture. You might not even need that foam if these newer wider wedges fit snugly inside the #28 housing. But it looks like there will be a gap between the wedge on the door and the mate on the chassis, and Audi says this is ok.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate all your help and the time you took to get an answere.
I will try the parts I ordered from you and see how they work.
Right know due to the crack in the back part of the wedge the doors creak pretty badly as you go over bumps and stuff.
Maybe due to such a sloppy fit they won't creak.

John D
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Jeff, Thanks again. This is off TOPIC
I was wondering if you could help me with another problem.
I have a 2001 TT Quatro Roadster. The top retracts slowly and sometimes will not raise back into position. The motor works ok.
I am thinking that the reservoir is low in oil.
What kind of oil does this take.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Banned

The oil for the convertible top is the same power steering fluid that is used for your car. Looks like all the mark 1 TT's use it, possibly more. It's the G00400M2 for one liter and should run you 19.80 for list price. Should be less at any dealer with a quattro club discount if you can swing that.
In my communication with Audi, as much as I try to bring the car to the parts rep I talk to via your pictures and text from you and I both, I sometimes wonder if they would accept their own answer if this was their own car. So in your case, if something doesn't match up let me know. Document that and forward it to me like you've done and we can revisit this.
Hopefully it bolts up and you don't get any new squeaks or noises from that area. It's odd that only the TT roadster uses this but it makes sense from a safety stand point. I've noticed on cab cars of other brands like Porsche, the cabs have male and female wedges built into the door and lower B pillar. Fairly large in shape too. Probably in case of an accident that helps to stabilize the door in the event of an accident. To help keep the door from flying upward and towards the occupants is my guess.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks again for all the help Jeff.
I will put the wedge parts on this weekend and see what happens.
John D.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jdaniel343
Thanks again for all the help Jeff.
I will put the wedge parts on this weekend and see what happens.
John D.
Jeff and John,

I'm in the midst of the installation of these new catch plates on my 2001 and would love an update on how the installation and adjustment went.

Quick Reply: Audi 2001 TT door wedge alignment Part#