TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi Rally Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-1999, 09:45 PM
D. Ulrich

Default Audi Rally Racing?

<br>Does anyone follow Audi in the rally racing arena? Is the TT going to replace the A4 as the platform for the Audi rally car? Is it eligible? <br>It would make one serious racing car. And then they could offer a rally edition to the public with obscene amounts of power a la Suburu Impreza, and then I would have to move to the UK so I could own one, and...<br>
Old 05-05-1999, 07:18 PM
Steve Wingard

Default Re: Audi Rally Racing?

Audi Sport hasn't had a factory presence in WRC (World Rally Championship) for many years. The official reason they give is concern for spectator safety, but the elimination of the Group B class (where Quattros dominated in the early eighties) probably also had a lot to do with it. There are quite a few privateers who campaign Audis (typically the older Quattro coupes, especially the S and S2) in SCCA Pro Rally and hillclimb events in North America. <p>I don't recall reading of anybody using A4s in rally, though in '95 and '96 they were the car to beat in the British Touring Car Championships -- until BMW and other teams complained so much that quattro was banned. (Shades of SCCA Trans-Am in the 80s!)
Old 05-05-1999, 08:04 PM
Steve S.

Default Frank Sprongl and his brother race an S1 or S2 Audi now...

Mainly at Pikes Peak Hillclimb..and the Mt Washington Hillclimb. They kick major butt. I can almost guarantee no Audi TTs will be hitting any rally racing scene in the near future. Audi is concentrating their racing efforts towards the Audi R8 now...at Sebring, LeMans and other like track events.<p>There are privateers racing Audi A4s in europe...but they are only FWD.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM