TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi TT parking brake defect - read this.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-1999, 09:10 AM
Irwin Abraham

Default Audi TT parking brake defect - read this.

I appreciate all the email responses to my post a while back regarding the Audi TT parking brake problem I experienced. I also enjoyed reading all the 'colorful' response posts - Unfortunately there has been a misconception as to my intention in bringing this up. My main intention is NOT to bring a lawsuit against Audi - I am merely CONSIDERING it in light of responses I receive from people interested. To date I have not informed Audi about the problem but I am acting under the advisement of my legal counsel to hoefully make the outcome of this as painless as possible. My intention IS NOT to make lots of money from Audi, but merely to have my car repaired from the damage caused by their defect. This is not the first problem I have had with Audi, nor with the TT. When you wait 3 friggin months for a car (after being B.S.ed all the way), and you park the car IN YOUR DRIVEWAY (not garage "sandy"!) and the parking brake BECOMES DISENGAGED ON ITS OWN sending your TT FLYING into your garage door, you get a little PISSED OFF! I just want to make 2 more points: 1)I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. There are many others I am speaking to, and 2)You should all APPRECIATE the warning I am giving you - imagine if the parking brake becomes disengaged on your precious TT and RAMS INTO SOME PEDESTRIANS! I dont think that would be a pretty sight to see. The warning is simple: either visit your Audi service guy and tell him to check out your parking brake mechanism and/or always park with your car IN GEAR. Last point - I understand that many of you get PERSONALLY OFFENDED when ANYONE brings up one of this cars problems - make no mistake - I absolutely LOVE my TT and I will continue driving it (hopefully) for a long time - this car is HANDS DOWN one of the best handling/driving cars around (we dont even need to mention the styling about this car...) - BUT that does not take away from the fact that the car may have some problems. So, for all you people that get OFFENDED by the FACTS I'm telling you, I can't help you. For Audi (I know youre reading this) I'll be speaking with you Monday. For everyone else who's interested in preventing a POTENTIAL MASS HAZARD to yourselves or anyone else around you, please email me. Thanks!
- Irwin Abraham<ul><li><a href="irlaur@msn.com">irlaur@msn.com</a</li></ul>
Old 12-26-1999, 09:20 AM
D-TTrain

Why would you even seek legal council in the first place? I still think you are a litigious SOB!
Old 12-26-1999, 09:36 AM
Irwin Abraham

Default Another Audi TT 'sheep' that's missing the boat!

The words "litigious SOB" are very strong and it would be nice if you would actually hear me out or ask me to fill in the blanks before making that assertion. Anyway, not to repeat myself but you seem to be one of the people that takes any negative (but maybe constructive...) comment about the Audi TT personally. I apologize for insulting your car company - I am merely trying to solve a POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS PROBLEM before it gets out of hand. I hope that you may one day appreciate what I am doing and maybe even apologize for your insulting remark...?
Old 12-26-1999, 09:44 AM
D-TTrain

Default I doubt it (more)

Look at it from our perspective. You come to the forum posting for what appears to be the first time saying "My car ran into my garage and I wanna sue Audi, please help me!". How do you expect us to respond? You apparently are the first one to have this problem, yet you want our help for your litigious endeavors? You said "I didn't seek to sue, but my legal counsel recomends this". Why would you seek legal counsel in the first place? If this had happened to me the LAST THING I would have thought of is to call my lawyer! The first thing you should have done is to contact Audi and let them respond first, then contact legal counsel if their response wasn't acceptable. It would seem that my response concurs with most everyone elses. Maybe you should take THAT into consideration? Surely Audi will offer to repair your car and your garage door if you would only give them the chance.
Old 12-26-1999, 09:55 AM
Irwin Abraham

Default I see that giving 'D-TTrain' the benefit of the doubt is a mistake....I AM NOT THE FIRST ONE...

Rest assured that I AM NOT THE FIRST ONE TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM! Just because you have not heard of it (you probably have MANY connections with the outside world 'D-TTrain') or have not seen it posted (contrary to popular opinion, not EVERY TT owner visits this site, much less posts messages..even though it's a GREAT SITE)does not mean that it has not happened. In addition, MANY PEOPLE HAVE HAD THE CAP COME OF ON THEIR PARKING BRAKES! This might be part of the problem! Instead of fighting with me maybe you should work WITH ME to prevent more problems from happening? I know you would all LOVE to believe that this has happened to only me and the other people I have spoken with but I'm sorry to burst your bubble but IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU TOO! Regarding the "legal counsel" problem, my entire family is lawyers including my wife - I have just discussed the POSSIBILTY of a law suit with them IN CASE Audi decides to screw me (which they have done in the past) again, sorry to insult your car company. I was also trying to arouse your responses which indeed I have done. If anyone has any questions or comments, I invite you to email me directly. Thanks.<ul><li><a href="irlaur@msn.com">irlaur@msn.com</a</li></ul>
Old 12-26-1999, 09:56 AM
Bob

Agreed another Audi Apologist!
Old 12-26-1999, 10:11 AM
Denny

Default Irwin, then why (more)

didn't you simply come to this forum and state what had happened to you, your concerns, your next steps, and the wish to hear from other with the same problem. You entered this forum sounding like a wackoo, "I'm looking into a class action suit." Seems like your posting are working backwards to where they should have started in the first place -- with an explanation of what happened to you.

We have dealt with many issues concerning the TT on this Forum. We are not afraid or offended to hear about problems with the car. Perhaps, we'd just like them to be constructive.
Old 12-26-1999, 10:18 AM
Irwin Abraham

Default I'm sorry if there was anything in my original post to make anyone think I was bringing a ....

..lawsuit against Audi tommorow - I thought I made it clear that I was merely "considering" it. Anyway, who cares? does it have any bearing on your lives? As far as you should be concerned, I am merely dealing with a potential Audi problem.
Old 12-26-1999, 10:23 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Another Audi TT 'sheep' that's missing the boat!

Well Irwin, I have had probably more problems with my TT than probably anyone else here, have been very "vocal" about them, and Dennis (aka D-TTrain) has been very supportive of me. So I would certainly not call him an Audi apologist. I do understand your comments that a few here seem to take criticism of the TT a bit too personally.

I think what riled up some here is the manner in which you approached this issue. In other words, "CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT". I do understand your concerns, and they are legitimate. But you would probably have had a far different response if you had written something along the lines of, "Hello everyone. Here's the problem that I experienced, and here's the damage that resulted. Has this ever occurred to any of you? Thanks in advance, Irwin."

Your comments are well taken, and I understand where you are coming from. You just might want to tone things down a bit.
Old 12-26-1999, 10:30 AM
D-TTrain

Default Agreed Denny! It's the fact that he is seeking to sue BEFORE even contacting Audi (more)

that has everyone offended! Maybe Abraham cannot see how it is that he came across because typed words and true feelings often don't equate the same. Abraham, FYI, typing in ALL CAPS is called shouting on the internet. To type that you want to sue (or are contemplating suing) Audi by typing it in all CAPS is like SHOUTING that this is your intention. You came across as very excited and we pictures someone with dollar signs in their eyes and steam coming from their ears. You need to be more careful with typed words as we can only interpret what you have typed and cannot see you true feelings or intentions. I am NOT an Audi apologizer and would certainly be jumping down Audi's throat if something like this had happened to me. The difference between you and me is I would NOT have consulted an attorney until AFTER contacting Audi and seeing what their response was! Of course being married to an attorney makes hat a bit different. What I pictured from your original post was this: There you were in your front yard with all of your relatives, admiring your beautiful car, when suddenly the car slammed into the garage door, causing you GREAT embarrassment. In order to save face with your friends you decided to immediately consider legal action. In retrospect, it would appear that all of your beloved friends and relatives are all attorneys. Of course they all recomended legal action, this is how THEY MAKE THEIR LIVING! It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this out.

Quick Reply: Audi TT parking brake defect - read this.