TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi TT parking brake defect - read this.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1999, 10:26 AM
Shawn Y.

Default Upgrade Your Head Space

Irwin, I feel you are a prime candidate for an automatic volvo, by the way it sounds this has not been your first accident and if you do not start thinking more it will not be your last. Your "Legal Council" is playing you for a fool to expect to sue Audi. Thanks for the warning about a potential issue with the parking brake, but I think you should admit to causing most if not all of the damage done. Take responsibility!
Old 12-27-1999, 10:35 AM
Michael

Default Handbrakes without gears...

Don't work. Just about every student driver is taught in manual cars (if they even teach manual transmission) to Leave the car in gear.

Hand breaks rely an manual pieces and simple but far from flawless parts to accomplish the simple task of applying friction to the rotors on the back wheels. Friction alone will not stop a car from rolling down a hill. You must engage the clutch in a low or reverse gear and turn the wheels into a block (i.e. curb) to ensure that the car will not move. Welcome to the World of COMMON SENSE. To borrow a tone of voice (anoying isn't it.)

As for a law suit...
1. In many municipalities it is required by LAW to engage the clutch as well as the hand brake.
2. In todays "market" for justice you could very well win. What would that accomplish except line your lawyers pockets and potentially your own, making real justice harder to come by still.
3. One person doesn't impact the legal system you say. Bah humbug. If everyone got a reality, and improved themselves it would be wonderous what would happen.
4. Leaving it in gear will hurt the transmission? It wont hurt as much as leaving it out of gear and running it through your garage door.
5. Unless its a mechanical defect its not a problem with the TT. Different handbrakes apply varying forces of friction to the back brake. If you don't put it in gear that's YOUR problem.

Just my 2 and 1/2 cents
Old 12-27-1999, 11:12 AM
your mom

Now give me a hug and go asleep like a big boy.
Old 12-27-1999, 11:55 PM
Irwin Abraham

Well said "Shawn"! I realize now that I must "take responsibility" for Audi's screw up! Moron...
Old 12-27-1999, 11:56 PM
Irwin Abraham

Finally! A response that actually makes sense...
Old 12-27-1999, 11:59 PM
Irwin Abraham

Thanks for the acknowledgment STTeve R - it's comforting to know that not EVERYONE is a jerk here!
Old 12-28-1999, 12:03 AM
Irwin ABraham

Default You started off okay, but you had to screw it up in the end...Read this Nader.

I will admit that it's a smart idea to gear the car when you park, but I am not taking BLAME for Audi's defect. Oh, by the way, how the #$%#@ do YOU know the incline of my driveway?! Why don't you ask questions before running your mouth off.
Old 12-28-1999, 12:07 AM
Irwin Abraham

Keep saying it if it makes you feel better "Roger"! Did you get your rear spoiler yet gutless?
Old 12-28-1999, 12:08 AM
Irwin Abraham

And how long will that last?
Old 12-28-1999, 06:19 AM
Denny

Take your own advice proffered in your penultimate sentence, Irwin.