TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi TT Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subjective Argument - Go With Passion

I think there are some legitimate issues at play here, but everything needs to be put in perspective. Japanese is the best reliability.

But it depends on your priorities. If reliability is your #1, you should get an IS300 Lexus. If performance is youir #1, then look to Porsche or Audi or BMW. If luxury is your #1, then get Mercedes or Jaguar.

Personally, I was debating the 350Z vs. TT issue for a couple of weeks. I decided on the TT. You know, the Z would probably be a bit more reliabiable. But (subjective argument here) I'm going to do a business lease and that means any problems will be covered and cost-free to me for the duration of the lease. Any major problems and I'll have an A4 or A6 loaner and life will go on.

For a while I was seriously considering a Boxster. The same reliability issues exist for it as the TT, only stronger. It came down to passion. If you are passionate about a TT or Boxster or any vehicle, do your homework and weigh your priorities. If the priority of passion and performance win, get the "less reliable" vehicle that will put the bigger smile on your face. Life is short. Love your ride.

Cargui
Old 05-04-2003, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I owned an A4 and now the TT...

the A4 was great, put 105000 miles on it (a 99) and had zero issues. did all the maintenance, of course. The TT is shaping up the same, although I've only had it a month. I plan to track it and put 20k+ miles a year on it, no worries for me. A couple things here and there is an easy trade off for this car. not that i expect to make any tradeoffs...

incidentally, i also just purchased a used Isuzu, built entirely in Japan, supposed to be their best model in terms of quality (99 Trooper) and had to have the transmission fixed to the tune of $450 (dealer paid for it, thank goodness.) I think with any car you run the risk of problems. Audi's are some of the best engineered, best built cars out there. You should absolutely love the quality. Not to say some don't have issues....

but i will buy another Audi when it comes time.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes. None. No. Nothing. Great. Have had my '02 TTR for almost a year with no issues. I ........

expect I'll run into the typical cluster and/or coil pack issues at some point. I wouldn't trade it for anything else less than $70,000 and I paid half that. I think a lot of the bugs were worked out the first couple years.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Agree with Cargui: Weigh "passion" and smiles versus rock solid reliability

I bought my 2001 225qc in January, and I've had to take it back many, many times. Nothing that's left me stranded, but enough to make me realize that only Japanese cars are rock solid these days. (My G35, for example). But, I knew this would be the trade off going in - everyone I've known who have had "cool" sports cars, from triumphs, to porsches, have found them to be tempermental. But worth it. I test drove the 350Z, loved it, but it didn't seem to have the soul of a classic that the TT does. And besides, maybe you'll get lucky like many on this board, who have had zero problems. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You're on a car forum, we nitpick everything. I'm

on my second TT. First one, three years, flawless. Second one a year old, zero problems.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well I have a 2002 TT no problems I just got a 2.7T A6 so life is good

The coil problems are fixed free you just have to tell them to replace them .I will not go Z or Honda The TT has much more calss and more room Too . So get the dam TT and have fun
Old 05-04-2003, 02:14 PM

How much did you pay for the 60,000 service
Old 05-04-2003, 02:16 PM

Default 3 years of ownerhip on 5/10/03. No major problems at all only cosmetic issues, i.e.,

seat heater buttons replaced, aluminum door strips replaced, leak at the spoiler...resealed and trunk mat and license plate lights replaced due to leak. A few other annoyances.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:45 PM

Default 63k, and no major problem(Except battery went dead without warning)

it's almost as reliable as my old accord and I drive the TT hard.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Audi TT Reliability?

I have a 2001 180 FWD Roadster with 48,600 miles, APR chip for about 15,000 of them. I've had it for one year and nine months.

<I>Was it worth it?</I>

Definitely. It's a fun car for me.

<I>How much maintenance do/did you do?</I>

Personally? None. I have no mechanical skills.

I've taken it to the dealer for all scheduled maintenance. I also take it to the dealer for oil changes every 5,000 miles since I got the APR chip.

<I>Has the car ever just died?</I>

No. I've never seen a TT on flatbed, either.

The closest I've come was on the day the chip was installed. I drove past where I live--having too much fun--and when I went to do a U-Turn, the gauges all dropped to zero. I went home, turned off the car, turned it on again, and everything was fine. I've also probably had three "Check Engine" incidents and one "ESP Off" light where nothing was wrong. Again, none of these left me stranded, though they did make me nervous.

<I>What have you had to replace or fix after the first few months/years of ownership?</I>

I'm taking it to the dealer to fix a problem with the fuel gauge. He seemed to know about the problem. They'll also fix a blown left parking light.

I've also had the front and back ends replaced due to collisions.

<I>How would you rate it's reliability overall?</I>

Wonderful. Again, I've had no problems.

Actually, I'm waiting patiently for the turbo to crap out so I have an excuse to go APR Stage III. :^)

Quick Reply: Audi TT Reliability?