TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi turns it's back on TT owner (again)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-1999, 12:13 PM
Dave Monty

Default Audi turns it's back on TT owner (again)

Well it' over. I took on Audi USA in an effort to get my TT repaired in a timely manner after a<br>total and complete melt down of the electical system, which required a new wiring harness, that according to Audi would not be available till December. Having only had my car for three days and faced with not having my TT for several months, a Dodge NEON as a loaner car from the dealer and forth coming monthly payments, I had to cut my loses and sell the car back to the dealer , Newton Motors N.J. (at a lose). <br>During this ordeal repeated calls to Audi, resulted in your typical corp. run around. Attempts to speak w/ Rolph Taenzer the Regional Manager in my area, was like asking to talk to the Pope.<p>F.Y.I. Talked to the tech. who worked on my TT and he stated that there are 14 extra wires in the wiring harness that do not appear in any of the shop manuals. In his opinion one or more of these wires shorted out causing an electrical failure of Biblical proportion.<p>Hey, I know this is kind of a long story and for the sake of space and time I left information out.<br>(Refer to my post on 6-27-99) Please refrain from calling me a liar and this is a hoax. You can call the dealership above (973) 383-2626 and confirm the story or talk to "Kelly" at Audi <br>800--822-2834. If any body wants more info (esp. on wiring harness) let me know. <br>
Old 07-07-1999, 12:58 PM
John P.

Default How can we "let you know" if you don't post your email address? more . . .

Dave-<br>Questions & Comments:<br>1. Don't you have legal recourse [e.g., contract (breach of warranty) or consumer protection statute (lemon law)] that would allow you to recover the full price you paid? I think so.<br>2. I remember your original post, and I don't think you're a "liar," but why do you omit your email address? It only decreases your credibility here. Let's see your email address to bolster your assertions.<br>3. If in fact you were sold a car with this defect, then we wish you the best. That's awful.<br>-John P.
Old 07-07-1999, 02:41 PM
Tom Blaney

Default Re: Audi turns it's back on TT owner (again)

Dave:<p>I am suprised and sorry to hear about your problems with Newton Motorsports. I purchased my silver TT from them, and although the delivery date was put off, they seemed quite reputable. I have had a minor window glaze cleared up quickly at the 1200 mile, and has a few questions checked out at 5000 miles. The have always treated me with respect, and they seemed to be honestly concerned with my satisfaction.<p>Tom Blaney
Old 07-07-1999, 04:40 PM
Gong Szeto

that's weird - Audi was pretty cool with my engine failure.<p>i think the dealer/audi should have simply taken the car back and given your money back.<p>you should not have taken a loss.<p>call your attorney.<p>gs.
Old 07-07-1999, 08:07 PM
MaTT C

Default Legal Action

Most states have lemon laws. You may have rights under the lemon law that will allow you to get ALL your money back. However, in selling your call back, you may have effectively ended your right to get satisfaction. If you took a big enough loss or just want to make a point, talk to an attorney and raise a little hell. Nothing gets a corporations attention like a law suit.<p>Matt
Old 07-08-1999, 02:51 AM
Paul Fletcher

And there's me thinking you had better consumer protection legislation in the USA...<p>Surely you could have insisted that they replace the car as it failed so early on in it's life?<p>In the UK there is a term "fit for purpose" under which you would be covered for a replacement - do you have something similar in the USA?<p>Also as mentioned by other posters please include your email address, it's polite and adds credibility to your posts (not that I don't believe you).<p>Regards,<br>Paul.
Old 07-08-1999, 04:05 AM
J.Russ

Default A philosophical take on the matter

I don't own a TT (but plan to buy one in the next few years,) but can relate to your problem, which was to experience a catastrophic system failure in a brand-new car for which no replacement parts are ready. It's a supply-chain thing, I guess. <p>I own a 98.5 A4 Avant qMS in which the factory-installed CD changer strangled on a disc and had to be replaced. Problem: the 98.5-compatible changers were brand-spankin'-new and unavailable anywhere in the AoA inventory. It took three months to have the thing replaced. Pretty maddening considering the $1200 Bose option.<p>Granted, an expired CD changer is nowhere near as serious as a fried wiring harness. But I guess the lesson is that when you buy a vehicle in its first year of production (particularly one as cutting-edge as the TT), you run the risk of getting a lemon and the further risk of not having the parts ready to fix it. I'm sure that in a year or so, this wiring harness will be a simple matter to fix.<p>Sorry to hear about your travails, though. Good luck.<p>PS: Do you plan to get another TT?
Old 07-08-1999, 10:33 AM
Joe

Default not too surprising, but there should be recourse...

Well, I think all companies will give you a runaround like that. My move to Audi was from a solid GM background--and I will say that I sure hope it doesn't get worse than GM. I've almost vowed never to go back to GM.<p>You definitely should be protected by lemon laws--I'd be all over Audi with an attorney over a brand new car that suffered such a big problem. Its absolutely unacceptable that you had to sell the car back to the dealer at a loss. What is this, a used car lot in 1978?<p>Please keep us/me posted as to what happens. I'm curious how you make out. (And a bit worried about my hopefully-next-month-arriving TT)...<br>Joe
Old 07-08-1999, 12:52 PM
Jim Torongo

Default OK I called you a liar.

Not trying to be a ***** but you never answered any of my questions. I still have trouble with the idea that Audi would handle your case so poorly when the bent over backwards to fix my blown turbo. JIM
Old 07-08-1999, 04:57 PM
chuck mayer

I used to work for Saab, both at US HQ and at global HQ in Sweden and based on my experience in these matters, Audi should buy back your car based on what you paid or offer you a replacement car. If what you say is true, I would call a lawyer.

Quick Reply: Audi turns it's back on TT owner (again)