TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi windshield mount button... same for all?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi windshield mount button... same for all?

I had my windshield replaced, and they installed the wrong one. The windshield mount button comes already glued on from the factory... my mirror is supposed to mount high (oval mirror), but the button is low (square mirror). This puts my oval mirror very low, partially blocking my view. I find myself "ducking" to see things sometimes.

Nearly everyone I've spoken with (several service advisors at 2 dealerships as well as a few independant glass shops) refuses to try to remove the mounting button from the windshield and just re-glue it in the correct spot.

The dealership offered to replace the entire windshield to correct the problem... and I almost took them up on it. But then I realized that it might be possible to just get a square mirror like my windshield's mountpoint is designed for.

Are the windshield mounting buttons the same for all Audi mirrors, or at least the different TT mirrors? I can't think of why not... my oval mirror fits on a windshield with a button supposedly designed for square mirrors.

I know not many people will have the answer for this. Maybe Bracketracer? Even if I have to pay for the rearview mirror myself ($75), it will be cheaper than a weekend stay in Dallas to get the glass replaced. I just want to make sure there are no holes in my theory before I go turning down their offer to replace my glass.
Old 03-27-2001, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So why is this your problem? Shouldn't the dealer be stepping up to the plate?

Audi installed the wrong windshield and won't give you the easy fix you
want - fine - but they shouldn't be making you pay extra or go excessively
out of your way to fix their original mistake.
That's the drawback to making mistakes - they can be costly - so maybe
the dealer will learn for next time... (?)

If they insist on replacing the windshield, it shouldn't cost you a dime,
even if they need to provide a loaner or come pick up the car or if they have to reimburse you to have it fixed locally. Let 'em scream. You don't have to be unreasonable about it, but neither do they; they screwed up, so they should
fix it without making you go to a lot of trouble.