TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

audio systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio systems

I have a 2004 Roadster with the factory installed Bose concert system. I am thinking of professionally (not via Audi) replacing the head unit with one of the SAT ready Alpine models with audio input wiring for separate XM receiver reception and iPod capablity (in glove box??). I initially thought of a built-in XM head unit, but was advised against major rewiring and possible speaker replacement.
Any experiences out there with this mode??
Old 03-26-2005, 06:32 AM

Default if you're trying to add xm and ipod ...... long

you may be able to do it through your factory radio. heres how:
remove your changer and get an axxess audi to pioneer adapter. add a pioneer xm receiver (must be the pioneer) then the pioneer ipod adapter gets plugged into the xm receiver and your audi radio sees the whole thing as a cd.
the bad news is that the audi radio gives you info as though it was a disc. so channel 22 on your xm shows on your radio as track 22. xm channel 122 shows as ch 22 because the factory radio only does 2 digits no text is available same with ipod. not ideal but keeps things digital and keeps the factory look. and you can also swap your factory radio out and install a pioneer if you decide to upgrade the rest of the stereo just a thought
Old 03-26-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Re: if you're trying to add xm and ipod ...... long

Thanks. You reacted to my template suggestion, which may be flawed. Starting from scratch-what is the best way to go for SAT-XM and ipod, both cosmetically and performance-wise.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:13 AM

Default for sound quality...

the factory radio is pretty sad it is designed to save the speakers in the car. it automatically turns the bass down as you turn the volume up. and if your main listening is the news thats fine. an aftermarket radio has a flat response across the whole volume range so it is much easier to get a predictable response from your speakers. but, if you are thinking to yourself this stereo sounds great then keep the great looking factory radio but for sound quality and ease of use for all the 21st century electronics swap out your radio