TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi's safety testing researchers are in panic!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2000, 01:08 PM
Johannes

Default Audi's safety testing researchers are in panic!

Hello Guys
I saw a very interesting report regarding the Audi TT models (before dec 99)It looks like the modifications offered by Audi is not as good as the new TT in production..... Do anyone have more info on this issue, because I would like to return my TT180Q and demand a new one. ??

From Deutche Welle News broadcasting company:
(Search for Audi TT and see the report in Real Audio 7)

Audi's safety testing researchers are in panic over the the Audi TT's driving safety after an the accident of a former rally driver for which they are now being accused of involutary manslaughter. Audi has decided to recall the 60,000 TT sports cars sold so far to modify the cars free of charge. We report on a lawyer from Hanover representing the TT owners who wants Audi to buy back these cars.

http://www.dwelle.de
Old 02-02-2000, 01:22 PM
Victor F

Default The accident you have highlighted has already been mentioned...

..on this forum. News so far was that the driver was doing 12o mph on a narrow road. The jury is still out on this case as to the true cause.

Your statement re: modifications is correct as ESP cannot be retro-fitted to sold cars as the sensoring system can only be installed during the build process.
Old 02-02-2000, 01:29 PM
Jerry

OOooohhh the sky is falling...(who cares as long as your driving a TT!)
Old 02-02-2000, 01:35 PM
Andy W

This is a message
Old 02-02-2000, 01:36 PM
Andy W

This is a message
Old 02-02-2000, 02:40 PM
Ketchup

Johannes, you're kind of behind on the whole stability/recall issue.
Old 02-02-2000, 03:19 PM
ben

this the first i have heard of involutary manslaughter
Old 02-02-2000, 04:07 PM
John TT

Default I'd love to see the supeoned doc's from engineering & design b4 release >

on the stability issue. A piece of paper from an engineer even mentioning an increased risk due to rear lift would probably doom Audi in a US jury trial.

The accident was in Germany? Does that sort of stuff become public record or are trials public over there? Will they allow Dan Abrams or Court TV to follow it. The shredding machines could be working overtime in Ingolstadt!
Old 02-02-2000, 11:13 PM
Marius

Default Of course they have discussed risk factors at length. Any design must be a compromise.

only the absence of such a discussion would be negligent.
Old 02-03-2000, 05:06 AM
John TT

Default Of course, but you know what a circus a trial can become over here (more)

If the plaintiff's can demonstrate the high skill of the driver (not a problem here) and documents are produced with engineers citing RISK of lift at high speed due to aerodynamics which was dispelled on the basis of design, if I was a lawyer, I'd probably take the case on a contingency basis! Threaten to publicize the trial and and Audi would probably settle out of court for a few million $. Of course that's in the US legal system...

Quick Reply: Audi's safety testing researchers are in panic!