TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Autocross TT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:17 AM
LSZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross TT?

I am considering autoX'ing my box stock TT next year in an autocross series held in our area. What improvements have been proven as helpful for setting up a 225TT for autocross? I assume Hoosiers or other sticky tires are at the top of the list. Does the TT have a prayer at being competitive with the Subaru STi in this venue?
Thanks...........
Old 11-02-2006, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Coilovers, swaybars, haldex, Kmacs, DEFCON 1, etc...
Old 11-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I take Auto-xing more as a challenge to myself than trying to win the class.

You can run stock, make some small changes and improvements and see how they effect the feel of the car and your times.

Unless you're planning on dedicating a good % of your paycheck there will always be someone faster.

Check out track days too. I have more fun with them than auto-xing.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I ran with APR 93 and H&R rear sway and did well. >>>

Get a rear swaybar and learn to drive smoothly and that will be your greatest improvement.

A lot of the other mods are bandaid fixes to improper driving style.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:44 AM

Default unless they've reclassed the TT or several other cars...

the TT just isn't competitive for auto-x. and once you start modding you get bumped into a whole new class with some serious auto-xers. In my opinion, just run stock on street tires and have fun with it. It can be a blast and mods won't make near the difference that practice will.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:52 AM

Default I believe the necesarry items would be....

1. Shocks and struts with springs (if coilovers are too expensive) you dont need ride height as much but the corner weighing ability is nice on the c/o. Just learn to compensate for turning.

2. sway bar 19 optimal (i have 22mm)

3. 17 or 18 inch lightweight rims

4. sticky icky icky tires and more oversteer so prolly those defcons are a good idea for faster turn in.

in regards to the STI...

To compete with the STI (assuming driving skill is same), you would need more power since the STI is lighter and much stronger than a stock 225. Plus it comes stock with lightweight BBS rims I believe so unsprung weight is much better on the car as opposed to our forged FAT fives. Also if you dont have a budget, Haldex unit would be optimal.

Just my .02 centavos
Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default contrary to popular belief the TT can be quite competative

i'm winning my class now. the key is how you mod it and how you drive it. i would suggest staying in a street prepared class. get it chipped, but to stay in street prepared you'll need to leave the stock DV in, otherwise you'll be moved to street mod, which has less restrictions. so let's say you're in CSP which is what you'll be in after the 19mm rear swaybar, sticky tires, and a chip. in CSP you won't be running against sti's but rather miata's and 944's. i've beat many sti's and i've lost to many sti's and cars of all different flavors. the TT does have some advantages over other cars. it's size/wheel base, it's not as heavy as everyone portrays it to be. the sti's are about the same if not heavier. i could go on and on but i'll stop here.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default echo what others have said . . . and give ACNA Drivers Schools a shot . .

'cause you won't beat the STIs at autox. And in our stock class, you generally won't beat the S2000s, or the M3s. As much fun as it is to autox, it's a lot of time spent for only 5-10 minutes of seat time. Track events are much better, for 2 days there, you get 2-3 HOURS of seat time, plus valuable instruction. Either type of event is a great way to enjoy yourself and the car. Do a couple of autox events, and compete against yourself.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:56 AM

Default swaybars. H&R 25mm front and 21mm rear. DO IT!

new shocks and springs would be worthwhile... and a chip that lets you run 100 oct gas would be good for an extra 60hp...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've autocrossed a couple (haha) times. My advice...

I would stay in your stock class for the first year or so. You can replace shocks but not swaybars or springs, and you could run sticky tires. I would even suggest staying on street tires until you find out if you want to get more $eriou$.

When you are ready to move out of the stock class to either a prepared or Street Mod, what the others have said is true. It takes mucho deniro to be competitive at more than a local level (and sometimes even at a local level, depending on your locale). That doesn't mean it isn't fun! I'm far from a competitive car in anything except my local events, but that's where I spend most of my time, and there are a couple of other cars/drivers that are really close to me in times, so the three of us duke it out. It's a blast.

You could upgrade your suspension, stay away from power mods and compete in STX or STU, that's a fun class and usually populated with rookies... (and subi's. you could put the hurt on em, haha)

To be nationally competitive in SM, you would need a serious suspension including nearly unstreetable coilovers, front and rear swaybars, camber adjustment front and rear, a haldex upgrade and maybe even a differential upgrade.

Power wise you would need 300+ hp at the least and all the changes that go along with that, intercooler, oil cooler, etc.

Big brakes would be very useful for the extra bite, lightweight seats and battery, rear seat delete, etc to shave those precious pounds.

It goes on and on...

So, my advice is to start slow and stay in the stock class until you are hooked.

As far as beating other cars like the Subi, it really all depends on the driver. In my area, the Subi drivers are all kids that can't drive. They aren't fast. It may be different in your area.

Quick Reply: Autocross TT?