TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bad Valve Cover Gasket, Engine Tapping and Loss of Boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Valve Cover Gasket, Engine Tapping and Loss of Boost

This is a long one guys (and gals)...sorry!

I have a 2000 TT Quattro w/ 70k miles. While I was under the hood re-seating a hose in the coolant system that had backed off of a coupling (causing a noticeable loss of coolant) I decided to check the spark plugs. The plugs had oil on them and I know that I am going to need to replace the valve cover gaskets. I have also noticed a tapping noise coming from the engine (aside from the one that is common with the fuel injectors)...it sounds to me like it is coming from the cam chain. I checked the oil level and while it was on the low side...I wouldn't consider it to be really low. I added a little just to see if that would make a difference. No luck. Is it possible that the tapping noise is the cam chain which is not properly lubricated due to the leaky gaskets?

Just to complicate things a little more...recently I have noticed a loss of engine power almost like the turbo is flaking out. It hesitates really badly in the upper RPM's...4000+ (not as noticeable in 1st gear as it is in higher gears). I doubt it's the clutch slipping because the RPM's don't continue to rise during the hesitation. I tried disconnecting the MAF and it didn't make a difference. The hesitation is still there. Could this hesitation be related to the bad valve cover gasket too?? Has anyone been down this road?

Thank you!!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some possibilities >>>

The cam chain tensioner can cause the noise.

Leaking vacuum lines or boost hoses can cause the hesitation/loss of power.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Yikes...

So... since I am gonna be up to my elbows in TT engine changing the valve cover gaskers, I was planning on changing the cam gasket too. Should I just invest in a new cam tensioner and save myself the trouble of taking the beast apart twice? Anything else that should be done while I am in there? I've already done the timing belt/water pump and v-belt tensioner. (Man I wish I would have changed the VCG when I did the timing belt!! Dumb, dumb, dumb!!)

Thanks eas!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Regarding high RPM loss of power...

How hot is it there?

My car would regularly pull timing above 4krpm on stock programming when ambient temps were above 80 degF. This feels like the car falls flat on its face once you get above 4k. See if it gets better with the winter. I doubt it is related to your problem.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

mad is prolly right, although those plugs may be telling you something as well.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Default It's pretty d@mn hot here but...

I've had the car since 2003 and it has been in Florida and Arizona...both very HOT climates... I have never noticed such a severe loss of power due to climate. Sure, it runs better in the winter but what I am experiencing now seems like something is failing or choking. I dunno... I am gonna try to get some more specific info, it's only been happening for a few days and I have a VAGCOM diagnostic kit on the way. Maybe some more data will help?? _April
Old 09-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Some possibilities >>>

I just did a cold start and idle... the noise isn't as bad but then gets worse as the engine heats up. I think you are right about it being the cam tensioner...it sounds like a clanking noise. Just looked around and these puppies arent cheap!! =(

So anyone wanna buy a 2000 TT Quattro w/ 70k miles? <evil grin>
Old 09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible cheap fix for the power loss would be a coolant temp sensor.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You may be able to find some more info >>>

by searching the 1.8T and A4 forums. I remember this being fairly common on one of the A4 models. I've seen posts where people describe the problem exactly as you just did. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Funny you should mention it...

I had a coolant leak that I thought I had fixed... the hose that connects to the "north" side of the plastic piece that the temp sensor sits in was pretty loose and leaking. I fixed that up last night and now I have discovered that the plastic piece itself is leaking (the piece that actually goes into the engine). Is that the coolant flange? I need to buy it and any gaskets that go with it. The temp sensor is so cheap I am gonna go ahead and replace it with the flange. OMG...I cant believe how much sh*t is broken on this car!! Thanks for your help. _April

Quick Reply: Bad Valve Cover Gasket, Engine Tapping and Loss of Boost