TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Battery Explosion

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Explosion

After driving home today, about 30 minutes of mostly highway driving, I pulled into the driveway as normal. After five minutes, I hopped back in to run a quick errand. As I turned on the ignition, I heard a slightly muffled bang from under the hood. The explosion had enough force to slightly rock the car. I immediately turned the ignition back off, as smoke billowed from the front of the car.

After a few moments I gained enough courage to have a look under the hood. The black battery cover was blown completely off the battery and the battery was split like a loaded cigar. Liquid was dripping from the battery and there was a burnt acidic smell in the air.

The car ran normal and there was no indication of any problems prior to the incident. Has anyone had any problems similar to this with their battery?

Now the big question... With my dealer over 70 miles away, do I risk putting another battery in and driving it to the shop, or do I see if Audi's Roadside Service will haul it over statelines to the nearest Audi dealer?

'00 Audi TT FWD Coupe (Stock)
Old 08-03-2001, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Roadside Assistance immediately and let them handle it.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:10 PM
Elder Member

Default I had my battery replaced last week . . .

it didn't explode, but the battery was cracked on the bottom of the battery under the negative terminal.

Call roadside assistance and have the car towed to the dealer. Insist on a flatbed. Also make certain the dealer replaces ALL of the corroded and ruined pieces.
Old 08-04-2001, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Battery Explosion

It happened to me in a Chrysler Caravan. I thought a brick fell and hit the car. I had the exact incident. I opened up the hood, the battery was torn apart. Even the insulation under the hood was ripped by the plastic after explosion. However, there was no acid, I think the battery was almost dry!! I called CAA the next morning to and they sold me a new battery, and it has been running fine for the last month since the incident.

I am glad that it didn't happen to my TT. But then again I didn't think it would happen to a such new battery in a TT.

Make sure you rinse out the acid that is splashed over under the hood, or it could eat up everything.
Old 08-04-2001, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Battery Explosion

Mine did not explode like yours, but went dead. I was able to jumo start it a few times, but after 2 days, I had enough and called Audi Roadside Assistance. In the DC metro area, Audi Roadside is AAA. They sent a flatbed w/o my requesting one. The dispatcher said that it was "mandatory for this vehicle".

I guess Audi got a batch of bad batteries, probably from the same place they got the OEM DV.

Good luck
Old 08-04-2001, 05:10 AM

Default A6 underseat battery explosion last year....

The A6's battery is located underneath the rear seat, passenger side. Turn crank, VERY loud POW!. I jumped out of the car as the smoke and fumes were saturating rapidly.

Next morning, changed battery, cleaned up what I could from interior seat materials. Car still has a slight sulfuric odor. Be glad TT battery location is underhood. But do insist they clean and/or repaint any damaged areas.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

What causes this? Has there been a recall?