TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

before I go and change my CPS, any input?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default before I go and change my CPS, any input?

Some have read my thread about my boosting issues and limp mode problems however I've gotten very little help.
So based on my own study and reading and limited knowledge my next plan of action is to replace my cam position sensor and 'see' what happens. The only code I pull on the car is cam position sensor low input. Again this has been a longstanding code I've had on the car (over 3yrs) and have had the car to 3-4 audi mechanics and they have never completely fixed it. I've replaced the CPS twice in this timeperiod. I've had no problems with it for quite some time but with my current boosting problems/limp issues my only next option as far as I know is to change the CPS b/c its the only code I'm pulling.

So I'm thinking a) the sensor has gone bad again finally b) my wiring harness has had some problem and needs to be replaced, not my CPS c) my billet crank pulley has caused problems (I looked through my records but could not find brand I used).

So my next best option I believe is to just try the CPS again. Can someone gimme some input or other options? I just dont really want to take the car to someone and them give the the exact same answer and fix when it may not even fix the car. Because I know their first inclination would be to just replace the CPS again..
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

recap what it is doing again...

Are you chipped?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default yes chipped..and...

Here are the mods so you guys can possibly direct me.
-Forge FMIC with intake manifold
-APR 93oct chip
-Samco turbo intake hose
-Forge DVR
-Billet crank pulley (I'm thinking is Turn2 or KMD)
-Schwing TTDA intake
-Forge SS catback

well these are the only engine type mods that would concern this issue.

My problem: about a week and a half ago the car suddenly started to go limp. It was significant, I would go up an inclined road and my car would slow down. I had a loud whistling coming from the drivers side engine so I went in and found my DV to have a rip in the diaphragm. Fixed that by throwing a new diaphragm in. Car can hold more boost and performs better even when it goes into limp mode. It is intermittent in nature and seems to be biphasic at times. Occassionally the car runs really hard and very strong then it will drop back into limp mode. It seems as if the limp mode feels biphasic, It will begin to spool hard then drop off and if I continue to try to accelerate it will hit another wall cutting back boost even more.

The only code I pull is for cam position sensor low input. I've had this code on the car for over 3yrs and have never been able to fix it or clear it. I've had a few problems over the years but it has been totally fine for a long time now. So I dont know if the CPS has gone bad or if it is something else. Unfortunately the code is really of no help for me at this time.

I did just go out and buy a new CPS and about to drop it in and just see what happens. However driving home once or twice I did catch an adventitious odd whistle in 2nd gear under harder acceleration that sounded atmospheric. It really wasnt reproducable. So now I wondering if I may have some leak, rip, tear somewhere. I didnt see anything with my DV hoses. What else could be leaking that would cause this?

Thanks for anyone that can throw me some advice!!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Got it! I had a sheared off hose on the turbo pipe...

It is quite normal again... Now I can take back the CPS, thank goodness I didnt end up installing it!