TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bent Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Tie Rod

So after a nice ice storm, I was driving my car and ended up skidding into a curb parallel from the passenger side (at about 5 mph I would guess). From what I could tell, both of my wheels hit the curb fairly hard with the front one probably hitting first.

There was no visible damage to the wheel. However, now my passenger side front wheel is now toed out several degrees. Since it happened right outside of my apartment complex, I just drove it back and parked it. I jacked the car up and the only thing I noticed was a bent tie rod. Is it very possible that I damaged anything else in the process?

I am trying to figure out what my options are at this point as I don't want to further damage my car. Would it be possible to re-align the wheel well enough to drive it to a servicing shop (the dealer). Or should I just play it safe and get it towed to the dealer? Obviously, I need a new tie rod at this point and an alignment at the very least.

How involved should I expect a tie rod replacement? From what I've read and researched, it seems like a pretty straightforward and simple procedure for replacing. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How far is the wheel misaligned and how far do you have to go to get to the shop?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Captain Allroad
How far is the wheel misaligned and how far do you have to go to get to the shop?
Well, the shop is 5 miles from my apartment and the wheel is a few degrees toe'd out. I went ahead and used my insurance for roadside assistance to tow it to the dealer.

Fortunately, I was correct in my assessment in only the tie rod being damaged. However, it is going to cost me a pretty penny. $415 parts and labor for a new tie rod assembly installed and alignment. He quoted me $108 per hour for labor! That seems a bit high since the cost of living out here is pretty low (Memphis, TN).

I also asked the service manager if I could get the alignment done to "custom" specs to my preference. He said it would be an extra $50 to do that.

Oh well, I have learned my lesson and will remember to gas it whenever I start slipping to get maximum traction in my TT.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You need an Indy

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for TN. A good trustworthy Indy will take care of you better than the dealer.

Try surfing an A4, B5/6 forum. Seems like this TT site doesn't get much traffic.

Good luck!