TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bigger Brakes >>

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger Brakes >>

Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions. Got into a discussion at work yesterday about bigger brakes - and the general opinion was that bigger brakes have very little effect on stopping distance, the only real advantage is for heat.

I was always under a different impression, but then again I never put much thought into the physics. seems like tire composition and the ability to a) reduce fade and b) decrease the timing of actual brake application, really effected stopping distance.

thought I'd take the debate here...
Old 02-17-2004, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Stock brakes will lock up the wheels so they can achieve one stop equivalent to big brakes...

Big brakes help fight heat fade and provide more consistent pressure with multiple pistons. A minor side benefit is (usually) less unsprung weight.

Typically big brakes are useful when you AutoX or track your car.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Anyone can say what they want...My porsche brakes stop me WAY faster than stock. period.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's a function of tires and suspension, not brakes.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:39 AM

Default think european car mag had a GTI BBK write up last month

and during the testing on the first stop distances were equal.
After that the difference between stops kept growing as fade had a much stronger effect on the stock brakes.

The thing is, on these braking distance tests a major factor is the tire. There is certain minumum dist you can physically achieve due to the tires ability to grip and no brake will make it any shorter. Repeated braking is where they will help most in these types of tests
Old 02-17-2004, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default um....no.......

Its the entire combination. Tires and suspension to a point, but larger disc + larger pads + good heat displacement = better braking.

From 100mph to 0mph, your brakes are already cooked at 50mph, so the rest of the 50mph, your going to be just turning your brakes blue and making them hum and 'not' stopping.

When you have an inch and a half more rotor and an inch more pad, your going to get rid of more heat and stop alot faster. Plain and simple.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Right, but his point is that if you don't have enough tire to handle the extra deccelerative force

your big brakes can now generate, they can't help you. Just have to make sure that tire keeps up with brake.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The stop techs on my car

not only don't overheat in anywhere near the same way as the stock calipers/rotors, they damn near can put me through the windshield if I do something stupid and mash the pedal.... oh, and antilock works as it did when stock, it just grabs so much more quickly and firmly... more grabbing surface area plus more rotational torque
Old 02-17-2004, 07:15 AM

Default Re: um....no.......

I'd be willing to bet that your brakes are not toast after a single 100 to 50 stop as you suggest.

It takes repeated heavy braking before the stock brakes begin to express heat soak and fade.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default true enough

if your stock brakes are unable to break traction with your current tire, your new bigger ones might. But given a kick *** tire, of course more stopping grab power will slow you down better

Quick Reply: Bigger Brakes >>