TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bill's theory for the week... (long...sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2000, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bill's theory for the week... (long...sorry)

Ok, first let me say that I am not a fan of the 50k miles of free service ploy that AoA sells with the TT. Yes, sells...we do pay for it upfront. We also pay for every POS loaner car that we get upfront (not a pleasant thought).

Disclaimer over.

I was driving an Volvo S80 2.9 T6 the other day as a loaner for my Volvo V70R. Now that's a loaner program.

It got me to thinking about how I didn't like the way Audi did the service and loaner system. Let me start by examining the Volvo system.

I walk in to buy a $45k grocery getter. Instead of me getting the exact same car through an Audi Finder service they sold me on how they will give me a loaner car when I come to them for service. They also sell me on the fact that they have excellent service (trust me, they say).

How many of these S70 or S80's can they have right? I think they have 4-6 loaner cars (that have decales on them saying they are loaner cars). If they must, they will give you a used car off the lot too, but that's only in a pinch. So, if invoice on an S80 T6 is $50k and an S70 is $35k, that averages close to $42k per loaner car times 6 would equal $255,000 invested in their loaner system. Say a loaner is out for two days (optimistic? not really, that's probably a good average number). So, they have three cars to give away per day if they are lucky. Hmm. That's not very many is it when they have at least 4 dedicated Volvo technicians on duty at any one time.

So, what is the big deal here?

Volvo has an incentive to FIX MY CAR QUICKLY and get it right the first time.

1. they take a long time. I don't care, I have a kick a@@ S80 T6 to play with for the week.

2. they do something wrong. No problem, I just keep that loaner car until you get it right. I will NOT take delivery of the car to return later.

Scheduling and quality becomes VERY important based on this logic.

Now let's look at our beloved Audi service departments' process...

AoA will reimburse a dealership for a cost to give us a POS rental car that will NOT help with future dealership sales, nor will it get us excited about coming back for another Audi.

The service department has NOT invested anything into the loaner program and therefore doesn't really car if they can keep their scheduling process efficient.

All the risk is on AoA, not the dealership. This is wrong in my eyes. (IMHO)

So, I come in for a new Audi and they tell me that service is FREE! I say BS! I'll be paying for it upfront.

I'm tired and don't feel like reading this over to make sure I didn't leave something out, but you get the idea.

AoA, by offering the service system they have in place, has created a monster that will ruin their beautiful reputation for being customer oriented!
Old 11-09-2000, 03:21 PM

Default Now that I said all that.

I just want you to know that I took my Volvo to the dealership for the regularly schedule maintenance at 22,500 (unlike Audi, Volvo assumes that Americans can handle maintenance schedules that don't land on round numbers). :-)

I did my walk-around to inspect the car prior to accepting delivery and found a 2-foot long scratch on the hood!

That was at lunch. They drove me home in my car and took it back to their shop because while I was doing the walk-around the S80 I had had already been re-allocated. :-)

When I got home from work the car was sitting in my parking space in very-close-to-perfect condition (they missed a spot). I think I'm going to try to fix that one on my own because I don't have the energy to argue with them over a minor scratch.

So, not saying Volvo service departments are perfect, but the incentive system is in place to help them get closer to that goal.
Old 11-09-2000, 03:50 PM

Default Interesting theory...

Have to agree that the Volvo system has some merits. Like you said...dealer incentive to do it right the first time ranks right up there. And the customer satisfaction factor should sell more cars in the long run.
But it's never a free lunch. That $1/4 mil. inventory of loaners is factored in somewhere...cost of the car or cost of service.

Personaly, I like the 50k service. It's essentially an insurance policy. You pay a (hidden) fixed price up front. Get a good, problem free car, you lose. Get a border-line lemon, you win. I suppose, though, if I saw the actual $ cost, I might opt out.

I think AoA's real mistake here is in the lost marketing potential. Put me in an A4, and I might think, gee, this would make a good car for my GF someday. Put me in a DEAdWOOd, and, um...well... you get the point.
Old 11-09-2000, 04:16 PM

Default My dealer does exactly what you describe if you buy your car from them. They call it...

Passport Service. They also warranty any repair you pay for for as long as you own the car.
Old 11-09-2000, 06:05 PM

Default Now that's service!

The loaner car is a perfect marketing mobile.
Old 11-09-2000, 08:05 PM

Default Just got my TT back from hood touch up

The dealer sent it to Queen City in Seattle. QC wouldn't release it back to the dealer until they had done the job two or three times - to their satisfaction. Looks great. Had to drive a Mitsubishi Mirage DE. MMDETT. An Audi for a loaner would have been nice. Glad to get it back.
Old 11-10-2000, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I feel for you, the cashier at my dealer tried to pull similiar crap on me, here's my reply....

She said, 'Oh, there is no charge today, your service was free! Can't beat that kind of customer service."

I corrected her; "My service is not free, it was just pre-paid when I bought the car. It really only benefits you because you don't have to worry about collecting from me for the next 3 years. I wouldn't dare to classify 'great customer service' as being forced to pre-pay 3 years worth of maintenance ahead of time for a new car, and then receiving lackadaisical support and lackluster work in return."
Old 11-10-2000, 10:51 AM

They hate me because I say almost the same words!