TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bilstein PSS9 install complete (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS9 install complete (long)...

Last night I finished up the installation of the Bilstein PSS9 coilover setup I bought from a fellow forum member. I had a Koni/Eibach setup that I was very happy with. However, I had one strut that had some play in it, and a bent housing which I attribute to a dealer trip but was unable to prove. To replace that one strut wasn't going to be too expensive, but hey, why replace when you can upgrade!

I received the coilovers and disassembled them as much as possible and gave them a thorough cleaning with simple green, WD-40, soap and water, and lubed them up with some silicone spray. Once cleaned up everything looked great and I decided to go ahead and install the fronts in the same evening. Removing the Koni/eibach setup from the front went very smoothly. I disassembled the passenger side and removed the strut mount and bearing (replaced about 5-8k miles ago) for reuse. assembly of the PSS9 strut went easily as well. However, when I went to install it into the steering knuckle, the PSS9 housing was significantly larger than the Koni. My spreader tool wouldn't open the knuckle enough to get it in there. I spent the next 1.5 hours making and breaking spreader tools trying to get the strut to drop in. I finally ended up using a chisel bit in a 12" piece of pipe for leverage, and was able to get the strut to drop into place. I was rather annoyed in this whole process, but hey I was half way there. So I move on to the drivers side. I remove the Koni/Eibach assembly from the knuckle, but when I go to remove the nut retaining the strut mount and bearing, it rounds off. many explicatives followed. but I perservered. This nut was not only rounded off, but apparently last time I put it on, I had really been eating my wheaties. After using an impact wrench, socket wrench, vice grips, pliers, air hammer, air chisel, foul language, dremel, and a drill, I was finally able to mangle the nut enough to turn it free from the strut. Victory was mine. I will post pictures of the mangled nut later. Since I had my technique down from the other side installing the PSS9, installation still took a while, but went much smoother. it took a total of about 6 hours from opening the box to finishing up. I must also mention that problems with the install weren't the only problems I encountered. I kept burning out bulbs in my trouble lamp, the garage breaker kept blowing, still not sure why, and it just seemed like everything that could go wrong, did. I was exhausted, but successful. The rear install would have to be another night.

So last night I decided to wrap up the rear install. Very simple, very smooth, took my time and went slow and was done in about an hour and a half. I drove the car, settled everything in then came back home and adjusted the height. I didn't go very low. tried to stay at the eibach drop height and just measured the fender to ground on each side to get it level.

I did notice that I had to lower the rear perch all the way to get the same (I think) drop as the Eibach setup. is this normal? I would think that you would be able to go much lower with a coilover setup. I seem to remember people talking about flipping the perch, but couldn't find it when searching. Anyone have any input on this? It also appears the rear coils are bound upon one another. I seem to remember this is a common problem. any remedy? different springs? Will it cause issues?

Our local chapter of the Audi Club has a tech session this weekend at Imagine Auto, a local Porsche/Audi/VW race shop. I'm going to see if they will let me use their scales and attempt to corner balance the car myself. If I am able to do this, I will post numbers when complete.

I plan on buying a replacement for the dead Koni, but then I will have a Koni/Eibach setup available. The Konis have about 50k miles, the Eibachs have about 6-8k miles. All the other struts are in good shape. I have one local guy that may be interested, but if he passes, I'll be taking offers.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What is your new fender arch to ground height? My PSS9 set so arch-ground = 25 inches.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 AM

I'll have to recheck the rear, but I think the front was 25.75"
Old 09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default whatcha doin' with your old setup?

seneb@aol.com
=)