TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bilstein PSS9 Rear Spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bilstein PSS9 Rear Spring

The patented for the MINI BLOCK Spring is hold by a German Company AHLE: Check out the link and than talk about "total collapsing Springs".
A Spring rate can be designed in different way, the wire size, pitch ,Coil diameter are the main factors. Our is this way, to accomplish the best for the handling and lowering.

TÜV is a multifunction institution not only a Quality control function, the Automotive Test is a strict Safety inspection, where Cars in Germany have to be inspected every two years. Changes from Original Equipment to Aftermarket need to be approved by the TÜV.

H&R is at the second design and not at the seven. There have two springs to choose from. The reason for the change where the popping sound. This problem is solved with positioning the spring in the recommended position. See installation instruction.
And for the last. Bilstein is not redesigning the spring for Guy's, there don't like the "Look".

Testing in Germany with the open H&amp;R spring shows a limited lowering on the rear.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ahle-federn.de/einfed.htm">http://www.ahle-federn.de/einfed.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 11-04-2003, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As a registered mechanical engineer I never studied anything.....

like this with regards to springs.

I've proven to be a pretty good engineer over the last 25 years and everything Udo/Bilstein has said goes against anything I learned about springs, or found when I did my own research.

My TT still pops occasionally and gets a solid thud going over a certain dip each day at about 45mph.

Udo was supposed to call me back after I had rotated my springs but never did.

I cannot imagine a manufacturer telling so many of us that we are idiots and then have so many others read these posts. They would rather stroke their egos than sell coilovers. I don't know of a single person that has bought the Bilstein coilovers after reading all the problems that those of us with PSS9's have had.

Bilstein could easily make this all go away by replacing our rear springs and a few $'s for the trouble. But no, they want to tell intelligent people that we are idiots.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:42 PM

Default the issue is longevity not isolated laboratory bench top testing and approval.

Get real looser, I already sent an email to your boss. Frankly users of your product have had enough. I remember when you told me that you agreed with the flaw, only later did you flip flop and retract it. YOur comments on turning up the radio to rectify the situation are frankly insulting...Hau ab...
Old 11-04-2003, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Look at the spring, it doesnt collaps as much as your crappy pss9 springs
Old 11-04-2003, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default exactly, maybe they wanna scam people with their remaining stock..which they probably cant move

anymore. once they are sold out, they will redesign the spring for some obscure reason....still avoiding any acknowledgment of the current spring design.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Look at the spring, it doesnt collaps as much as your crappy pss9 springs

Yes it is for a different application and the spring wire is a variable size wire. The top and bottom ends are getting smaller.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:16 PM

Default \Hey UDo...

why not do some real customer service...recall the product and issue free replacements...its gonna be cheaper in the long run then when somebody crashes and sues you guys.....Its so easy to prove reasonable guilt in the US...you guys are in a loose loose situation...And you are wrong that HR is on their second design, or you are lying. IT is common knowledge that they are on revision number 4 at least if not 5. YOu are doing your company a disservice arguing on our forum. THe bad press this had generated in an online community with over 60000 members should not be underestimated.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:43 PM

Default Re: \Hey UDo...

Sorry to disappoint you. I went to Germany and had a meeting with H&amp;R only for this reason. The information is from H&amp;R. I only pass this on.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Hell im not

dissappointed..I aready got my money back....Spout what you want...If it was your car and you had spent your money on this junk kit and it collapsed and offered garbage performance you would be irate as well. Your facts dont mean squat when you have a multitude of individuals who have experienced problems with this kit. You can talk about design, patents and TUV all you want...but it doesnt address the bottom line..which is in this application there is no reasonable performance longevity. The fact that your supplier or your company chooses to ignore this fact is irrelevant...I would never buy anymore of your coilover kits and neither would the majority on this board. Sure you might shake your head and say so what...whats a few sales out of the thousand your company makes daily....but its the tarnishment of your companys reputation in a small segment of affluent buyers that will last longterm that should concern you. After that last time I spoke to you on the phone, I frankly felt insulted by your overall tone and lack of customer orientated service, if it wasnt for Larry and his goodwill gestures and prompt re-imbursement for both the kit and out of pocket exepenses, I wouldve love to take your *** to court....with everything I have on paper, past emails and such forth, your denial these days just doesnt ring true...
Old 11-05-2003, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default clap clap clap...many feel the same way. Hopefully we make enough of a stink

that no one will buy any pss pr pss9 kits for their TT until they fix this problem.