TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Blowout on Bridgestone Potenza Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2000, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a very low/loss of pressure followed by heat & pressure from flex&rim contact
Old 10-13-2000, 01:17 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Ctrl A" "Edit" "Copy" then "Paste" into a document.
Old 10-13-2000, 01:20 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just outside NYC in CT. Bought a set of winter tires and rims from tirerack last winter.

Worked out just great. You need winter tires unless you are going to garage the car for the winter.
Old 10-13-2000, 01:45 PM
Elder Member

Default I bought a set of 16" winter tires and steel wheels ...

I am looking to sell them as well, unless George (saxguy) takes them off my hands as he keeps promising!

I bought a set of black steel wheels and Nokian "Haks" and was VERY happy with them. I can't use 16" anymore as they don't fit over my brakes. I am getting a set of 17" of the same Nokian tires for this winter.
Old 10-13-2000, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK. I thought that, if you had scraped a kerb hard....

that might account for the way the tire had been sliced off all the way around. I've certainly never seen a tire like this, except....sometimes on rallies drivers keep driving to the end of a stage even fter a puncture and the rim slices through the tire wall. It takes several miles, though. How long did you drive after the puncture?
Old 10-13-2000, 02:08 PM
Elder Member

Default This happens to truckers all of the time . . .a possible explanation inside . . .

You see "donuts" on the sides of the highway all across the country.

This happens from two things usually. Not enough air in the tires or retreads in the case of trucks.

I would fathom to guess that the tire could have picked up a puncture and went low without him know it and at 70mph would have come apart pretty fast.

It could not have been caused by curb damage as BOTH sides of the tire came apart! If you look at the edge of the main carcass, you will see what loks like the outer tread is wearing out, like it was supporting the car for a few miles.

JC, how hot was the edge of the tire once you came to a stop? Was the rubber almost at the point of bubbling? That is what looks like happened to me. You just didn't notice that the tire went down, and you wore the side walls right off the tread! It almost happened to me about 12 yrs ago, but that was in a car that was extremely stiff and I didn't know anything was wrong until I hit an off ramp and the flat tire could not hold the car in place. Once I stopped the tire was almost worn out on both sidewalls, just like yours, except mine wasn't long enough for the tire to separate.

I would NOT declare this tire as being defective. It was just a flat that was not noticed by the driver. Nothing more, nothing less. So long as you are saf and the car is in one piece, I would just get a new set of tires and NOT RE040's!

If you look at the sidewalls, how worn out is the writing on them? I would guess that it is pretty worn out from travelling on it for many miles at 70mph.

Does what I say sound about right to you? Did you notice the front end getting a little squirrely at all during your drive? Were you just listening to music and not paying attention until the tire just let go? What were the pressures in the other 3 tires? When is the last time you checked them?

Sorry to see this happen.

I hope this helps, even a little
Old 10-13-2000, 02:41 PM

Contact NHTSA....either on the phone or the web site.
Old 10-13-2000, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your explanation/thought process the best. . hasta be something like that.
Old 10-13-2000, 03:09 PM
Elder Member

Default I try to look at things from all angles and not jump to conclusions. . .

That has been happening too much and with too much regularity on here lately.

I know the RE040's are most likley defective for the side-wall bubbles, but this is not a side-wall bubble. I guarantee once a tire engineer looks at these tires they will come to the same conclusions I did. Loss of pressure due to either underinflation or a slow leak; aka flat.
Old 10-13-2000, 03:43 PM

Default I, too, wondered if it was just a flat and had been driven on

Good food for thought here, Larry. Let's not jump to conclusion too quickly.

Ok, so honestly - how many of your are going to check the tire pressues this weekend?

I am - I try to do it every other weekend.

Quick Reply: Blowout on Bridgestone Potenza Tires