TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

body shop can't match the paint...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body shop can't match the paint...

Well, while getting my bumper replaced, the body shop is unable to match the paint. They painted the new bumper 5 times and never got close. They are talking to the insurance company on monday, I am sure they will have to repaint the car. Since they were unable to properly duplicate my Avaitor Grey, I doubt I will keep the color. Now it has a blue color to it when in the light, but they weren't able to match it. I doubt I would like it as much if it were a flatter grey. Maybe I'll go with a white or nimbus grey.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a new body shop...
Old 08-28-2004, 01:48 PM

Default yes he does, when i had my civic it was silver. One body shop made my front lip look kinda brownish

in the sun, i wanst to happy about that but also figured matching paint colors was hard,then i got backed into, replaced my fender cause of it. I went to another place, that had to paint the fender, hood, bumper and door to blend it and i never saw the differnce in colors. So yes a good body shop can match paint, an OK one will come close
Old 08-28-2004, 02:13 PM

Default That would be sad to lose your aviator grey and settle for something else....

There are too few aviators around already. I'd definitely be looking for a different shop. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Default well, the car has been painted before...

It still looks very close to the other aviator grey TTs I've seen. The paint code was written onsome service records and stuff that I got from the previous owner and it matches the factory paint code. I'm not sure why they can't get it to match but I saw the bumper and all the test panels they did, none were quite right. The last color they tried matched almost perfectly when the did a test on my original bumper, but when they sprayed it on the new one it came out with a green tint to it. They used multistage paint and had the paint shop check everything out. They tried the electronic lens that reads the color, but those never work. I don't really know what I can do. The body shop is a decent size shop that is part of another dealership. I went through them because through my insurance they would guarantee the match and the part for life. I'm not sure what else I can do, but if they don't get their **** together by monday, I'm going to have to bust somebody's *****.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:17 PM

Default I agree...

I love they way it looks now, but if it came out differently, I might not. With such a touchy color, I don't want to chance it.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It sure looks good in your sig shot
Old 08-28-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Get a new shop. I had my tail painted, and it's a pretty good match!

shop did say it was a PITA though.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If they can't match aviator, I doubt they'll get Nimbus right. :^( Sorry to hear it.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Rai
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default repainting the whole car is nuts. i would get them to request a paint rep to assist

the most spraying on the rest of the car they should do is blending of the adjoining panels. and i even hate that as it gives rise to the opportunity of a crap buff job.

a tip for when you get it back --> wash the car down in dawn to get rid of the high gloss wax they will most likely apply (since wax will simply hide a bad buff job), then look for swirls in direct sunlight... take back if not happy.

Quick Reply: body shop can't match the paint...