TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Body work question... >>>

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body work question... >>>

So I'm about ready to go insane on the body shop I ended up going to about 2 months ago (who still, by the way, have my car.) Aside from the fact that they've spent 2 months doing jack to my car, part of the deal is that they were going to paint my roof. Thing about it is that they messed up the masking (or something) and claimed that the paint was flaking off when they lifted the mask around the hatch, and they had to repaint my deck lid.

They originally said they'd repainted my quarter-panels too, but I spotted some un-painted hurricane damage, so they backpedalled fast on that.

Here's the thing that's killing me (among oh, so many other things, but the one I don't know the answer to):

Should I have to pay for their mistake? They're trying to charge me for painting the deck lid and fixing the mask mess-up. Is this normal? Am I responsible for their mistake? They claim that the paint on the body was bad to begin with (factory paint on a 2001 TTQC that gets washed and waxed regularly?) and that I need to pay for the labor.

Also:
When the guy actually called me to tell me they'd messed up the masking, I went to the shop to inspect it myself. I didn't see any flaking or chipping, but instead saw that the paint from the roof had run into the lower section of the car (over the qp). A few days later, that was 'fixed' (I saw the car and verified that), and he claimed that he had to paint all kinds of things because of flaking/chipping/etc...

I'm just suspicious of being told that my factory paint ate it on a car that isn't that old, has modern paint and clearcoat, and is taken care of. And this is all aside from the other bullsh*t the guy's been feeding me about 'engine cages' and 'control arms' and 'flux capacitors' for the repairs the insurance was supposed to take care of.

I'm really frustrated with these guys, and I want to keep my cool and be understanding, but man, they've already gotten a *ton* of money from the insurance company for a relatively simple and straightforward job, and they're trying to crush me for more.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds to me like they're trying to take you for a ****.....and my reply

is HELL NO should you pay for the crap job that THEY done !! If they say that the paint was in poor condition when you took it to them in the first place, they should have either pointed this out to you at the time, or just refused to do the job as they would've know the outcome.

There seems to be too many stories and lies coming from them as to what they HAVE done, and what they DIDN'T do.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Kriminal is right. You should have a good faith estimate in hand and that is what you should

pay. Any variations can be taken up with your insurance carrier on a suppliment negotiated between the body shop and the insurance company.

Is the shop I-car? Are they a preferred provider designee by your insurance company?

You are being abused by these people. Don't stand for it. Tell the body shop the following: I am not responsible for your mistakes. If you think you need more money contact my insurance carrier IMMEDIATELY and then let me know when I can expect to pick up my car, with every assurance that the work is complete and will be to my satisfaction. Further, I expect my car to be cleaned inside and out. If this reasonable request can't be fulfilled, I will notify the the better business beaureu, my insurance carrier and the state attourney generals office.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Could be a good idea to name and shame them on here as well, just to

at least prevent others from taking their beloved TT's to them. Businesses like that need to be shut down.

Best of luck
Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Supreme Auto Body... Boca Raton, Florida >>>

In all fairness, the work they've done with some of the Volkwagens in the area has been very good, and the owners didn't have any complaints at all about them. In fact, the reason I went there in the first place is by their recommendation.

Before shaming them or giving a negative recommendation, I want my experience to be complete. In other words, I believe in giving them the chance to make amends, giving the benefit of the doubt for unforseen circumstances, etc. What can I say, I'm a nice guy like that.

I just want my car back, and in one piece, dangit!
Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Body work question... >>>

This sounds like a total disaster! I would find out from my insurance company if you can take it somewhere else at this point. I'm not a 100 percent sure of what your describing but when painting the rear hatch the only way to do it is to remove the rear window. There should be no flaking or chipping when tape is removed and even if there is a little bit the window and all the gaskets will cover it. How thick are they applying this paint would be my question and I would be very fearful that anything they painted would peel later. If your talking paint runs they are probably putting it on way too thick. Just my 02 cents
Old 04-04-2006, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe he seen the TT and thought here's someone with money... ;-)

How long do they reckon it'll be before your "experience" is complete ?

Like you put, it could just be a one-off thing that went wrong. Just seems to me like they're fishing for excuses bud.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agreed... >>>

Unfortunately, they are *not* a preferred shop recognized by the insurance carrier - I went to them based on the glowing recommendations of others in my community (and their previous work really is pretty darned good).

It sure feels like I'm being abused. Thing is, what recourse do I have? Contacting the BBB is downright useless, the attorney general's office will do nothing, and my insurance carrier already told me that because the shop isn't one of 'theirs', there's not much they can do.

I feel seriously FUBAR. And it makes me so mad! We'll see what happens on the final delivery of the car... (now the third delivery they've made to me, each time with a major component still remaining - like an airbag still deployed...)
Old 04-04-2006, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, you sound like a more patient guy than me....and I'll take my

hat off to you for that bud
Old 04-04-2006, 08:05 AM

Default I would call your insurance company..

and tell them what is going on. Then I would take pictures and document everything. Sounds like they are trying to get more money out of your insurance company by making these "errors and problems".

Your insurance company has lawyers that will fix these problems. Keep them in the loop and you will be amazed and what they will do.

Quick Reply: Body work question... >>>