TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

bose system

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bose system

Hi im 17 and getting a 225TTQ roadster/amulet/ebony but im not sure about the bose system.i want to put two 10" subs in the back and a new deck. but i heard that if you get the bose you must change all speakers and everything to make mods. is this true should i just get stock system? also i am not buying till august cause i have to pay by myself (no parents) and wondering if anyone is selling theirs around that time that is what is mentioned above. thx
Old 10-05-2000, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd recommend getting stock & doing your own upgrades...sounds like a better option for you.
Old 10-05-2000, 08:30 AM

Default Get the stock system if you plan all these mods. If you replace the head unit

you will also find yourself immediately replacing the speakers. If you replace the speakers you should also replace the amplifiers. There is a special equalization curve applied by the Bose head unit to the speakers which an aftermarket unit will not have and the Bose speakers are very low impedance which are matched by the amplifiers. Just for kicks I replaced the Bose head unit with an Alpine and it sounded like s*$t. My Alpine even has adjustable preamp output levels. There were just no bass and treble settings that would make the speakers sound any good.

I regret buying the Bose system because it sounds, well, not terrible, but definitely not close to being worth what Audi charges. Plus, I am accustomed to having a much better sound system in my automobiles. This winter I will completely replace the system but it's because of the need to replace everything that I have been holding out I will do this myself as no installer is going to touch my car.
Old 10-05-2000, 08:41 AM

Default i agree -- go stock and then upgrade each of the components...

you'll be much happier with the sound (espcially if you get good components).
Old 10-05-2000, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Right, no upgrade, then let me know how you get all the panels off, need to remove both seats, and..

disconnect the battery for like an hour, so the airbags don't go off, when you remove the connectors for the airbags.
I have gotten the door panels off, but I have not tried to get the rear panel(s) off behind the seats yeat.
The amp is hidden below the cubby hole, behind the drivers seat (I was told)
Yes, you need to get at the Amp, and therefore the speaker wires, replace the speakers also.
Old 10-05-2000, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a roadster and there isn't much space back there.

If you want to do the upgrade, buy a coupe. As Jeff has mentioned you have to remove the seats to get anything installed. I removed my passenger seat to install a phone bracket. You have to unplug the seat( the airbag and seat heater ) It gets a little tricky with the airbag because you have to do it a certain way as to not disturb the sensors and the function of it. In my opinion, no sound system sounds that great with the top down.
The Bose sounds good but not great. Spending twice as much money does not mean that you will get 2x better sound with the roadster.

Much luck