TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Are Brembo drilled rotors good?...>>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Brembo drilled rotors good?...>>>

A local company here has pairs for $130 front pair and $170 for the rear pair. Seems good, but don't know much about Brembo's.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Depends on the application - I don't recommend drilled rotors for track use....

I had a pair and promptly cracked them after on day. My rotors were Zimmermans, not Brembos, but the same principle apply.

Slotted rotors will give you nearly the same performance with no cracking issue.

If it is for auto cross or cruising around they are great (especially in the wet).

Just my experience.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Depends on the application - I don't recommend drilled rotors for track use....

I have actually seen rotors that were both drilled and slotted - would those be good for all purpose?

Also, on another note, what would help in keeping the brake dust down to a minimum so my wheels stay cleaner longer?
Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I like mine... usually fronts cost more than the rears...
Old 01-24-2005, 01:36 PM

Default The problem with the drilled rotors is that you lose mass....

while developing the same amount of energy. That energy is turned into heat, and the rotors receive a lot of the heat. Less mass (if drilled) results in higher peak temperatures in the disc. I had problems with cracks forming at the drilled locations and radiating towards the center of the disc. Not good.

The purpose of the drilled holes or slots is to disipate the any gasses and the dust so you have a better braking surface. Slots provide a discharge route for the gases and dust without significantly weakening the disc.

My opinion on the combination slotted and drilled rotor is that it's for looks only. You don't need both. I won't buy drilled rotors again.

As far as dust goes, there are a number of pads that claim to have less dust. I'm sure someone will tell you which to go with.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think doing both slotted and drilled is more of a visual thing..

I've got drilled zimmermanns for front rotors right now and they do help with wet braking. They will be replaced with slotted rotors soon tho.

You can buy pads that produce less dust, pretty much anything other than OEM will produce less dust. Lots of info in the archives about different pads (Mintex, Pagid, Carbotech, Rotex).
Old 01-24-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Hey man - quit stealing my thunder!!!!! lol

How's it goin'?
Old 01-24-2005, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: The problem with the drilled rotors is that you lose mass....

Well I will go with the slotted for sure then but I still have not decided on pads - I am sure I will soon though.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default and they look cool... =o)

and add horsepower like my red painted calipers
Old 01-24-2005, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, thanks again for the Zimmermanns! :)

Things are going well... Lots of mods on the way for the TT, as usual. I think I'll mix in some house mods too this year So what have you been up to these days? Any new toys yet?

Quick Reply: Are Brembo drilled rotors good?...>>>