TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Britax Roundabout in TTC?! People said that's the one to get but it doesn't fit in the backseat.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 05:46 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Britax Roundabout in TTC?! People said that's the one to get but it doesn't fit in the backseat.

Is that why Audi gave us passenger side airbag off switches? I need to mount it rear facing.

I have no problem with it in the front seat with the airbag off, but what the hell do I know I have only been a dad for 7 months.

Ali's busy Saturday and I am babysitting. Why not go to the Jax Audi Gruppe meeting?

And it's a great excuse to break my $200.00 Britax Roundabout out of the box.

Going to the manuals now...
Old 04-10-2002, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ONLY use the front seat as a last resort ...

It is always much safer to put your baby in the back seat.

I use the Advantage (newer version of the Roundabout) in my wife's mini-van but would not use it in the TT because of it's size. It would be better to use one of the stroller-type car-seats (all-in-one kind, with the car-seat that comes off the stroller).

A friend of ours is licensed/trained with NH to install/inspect car seats and she has given us all the info (sometimes too graphic) on using the wrong seats in cars.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:03 AM
Elder Member

Default I have heard that from others, too, Ron, but I can't logic it out...

Isn't the front passenger cabin better protected in an impact than the rear? I mean, if I get rear ended there is nothing there relative to the front. If I get front-ended then the entire engine and the wonderful German engineered impact absorbtion is in effect. And I have seen side collisions in the TT's, too and it holds up very well in the doors.

It would seem to be a rare exception but isn't an infant better off in the TT in the front with the airbag off?

I appreciate your response. I am not arguing just trying to do the right thing.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:03 AM

Default Some studies say that the front seat is safer.

If the kid starts to fuss you are able to tend to him/her easier than if the kid is in the back seat. Thus it is safer for driving.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:08 AM
Elder Member

Default Of course, how many teething rings can one take under the clutch before it's a safety issue. :)

If she can reach the shifter I ain't even going to bother putting her in the car. I have to be able to grab that shiny metal **** quickly without worrying about breaking babyfingers.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:11 AM

Default I've used the Roundabout in the TTC...

It fits well in the forward facing position in either seat. How much does your daughter weigh now? If she is 20lbs or more, she should be able to sit facing forward.

I didn't like the way the roundabout sat on the seat while in the rear facing position in our minivan or in the front seat of the TT. Forget about using that seat as a rear facing seat in the rear seats of the TT. that was a mouthful...
Old 04-10-2002, 06:26 AM
Elder Member

Default Great to hear that I "discovered" the same as you when trying to fit that

giganto seat.

She is 17 lbs, 7 months old (today!) We are going to follow the "1 year AND 20 lbs" rule. Unfortunately she is already growing out of her other seat that goes in my wife's car (it's infant only, snaps into the travel system) by length. We may need to buy another seat for Ali's car for only a few months then use the Britax heavy duty.

I am impressed with the features of the Britax. It has the tether straps already and I think it is retrofitable to the bottom LATCH tethers.

Thanks, Sang.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:36 AM

Default that's a mighty big seat. the one I have in the back is the Century Breverra

it might be the "elite" model or something. It's forward facing and converts to a booster. It has the shortest seat depth. Those with an integrated base like the Britax just don't fit well on that back seat. The Century has the tether, too.

Not as good a seat as the Britax, but my son has been using it for the past 15 months (he's 3).
Old 04-10-2002, 06:44 AM

Default How do you secure your son's head if/when he falls asleep back there?

All of these (booster like) seats are very upright.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:50 AM

I use the same seat, works great, but I think Ivan's daughter might be too young still.

Quick Reply: Britax Roundabout in TTC?! People said that's the one to get but it doesn't fit in the backseat.