TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Buying a TT in UK

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-1999, 04:49 AM
Simon, London

Default Buying a TT in UK

Can anyone tell me if they think us Brits are being done, because I sure do :<p>I ordered a TT 180BHP Quattro in December 1998, I have been told it is due for delivery at the start of 2001 - the TT isn't launched until September this year in the UK.<p>I am paying about £28K, roughly 44,500 US Dollars for it.<br>I only get the choice of 3 colours - Silver, Blue or Black, all exept black are £500 extra.<br>I get no choice of interior colour, however it is black leather.<br>I can only choose a Quattro - no front drive in the UK.<p>This is all standard UK Audi details, so I was amazed to see all the different colours and interiors available to buyers in the US.<p>PS Excuse my spelling of 'Colour', I'm British!<p>The
Old 05-27-1999, 05:26 AM
Maz

Default Re: Buying a TT in UK

Get this, I showed interest at my dealer in the TT at the in the middle of '97, placed a deposit in May '98 because the order books were closing.<br>I now have an order number and a factory build code but no idea when I'll get the car, have been told to expect end of '99... feels like I've been <br>waiting years (hold on... I have)... I'm so jealous of all you guys in the US just waiting around a few months for your cars, and all those colours... aaaagggghhhhh. I can't wait for my Silver/Black loaded (little choice really) 225Q, you people sound like you're having a blast in your new motors.... just think of me, having waited two years now, and hearing rumours of delays on 225Q (or Q in general), and now stories about tail out at high speed shenanigans... sheesh. When I finally placed my deposit I was mid 600's out of 1000 - I mean, there are people in the UK that have been waiting even longer, poor sods...<p>It is great to hear about all your tales though... makes the wait seem worthwhile. I must admit though, Audi UK have been really nice about everything, they even put on a presentation in Kensington, London, only for those 1000 with deposits down, to look round three cars (black, silver, blue) last year before the Motor show. Spent ages taking piccies, looking round the cars, sitting in them, much easier to do when there's only a few people around at one time... <p>It's kind of wearing out a bit now though....<br>especially since I started reading this forum...<br>I WANT MY TT <p>Anyone else in the UK know when they're getting theirs?<p>Maz<p>p.s. one thing I haven't heard mentioned is the type of fuel you guys use, in the UK the 225Q will use Super Unleaded, and it specifies that it is not recommended using less than a certain octance (can't remember what), so some unleaded's must be a no-no. are all 180FWD's regular unleaded?
Old 05-27-1999, 05:43 AM
Rob C

Is the launch really September, I didn't know this.<p>They start building 225's in week 25 if I remember rightly, Are they not going to allow delivery until september then ??<p>I have ordered via a uk car imports company who are getting it from a german dealer (in one of the early batches apparantly). If my car is ready b4 september, I wonder if I shall have to wait anyway.....<p>Regards<br>Rob<br>
Old 05-27-1999, 07:49 AM
Frank

Simon,<p>One item on your calculations. USA MSRP prices do not include state and local taxes which can add up to as much as an additional 10% to the cost of the car, depending on the state that you live in, My understanding that the UK MSRP prices already include UK taxes. So be careful when you do the country-based comparisons.<p>Frank
Old 05-27-1999, 09:51 AM
Wayne

Being an Aussie lost in the wilderness that is new york I had a look at the cost of the TT in Australia. If you think you are being stung think of the Aussies. The 180 FWD is around US$49,000 the QUATTRO is about a $3500 option on the A4(as a guide.<p>
Old 05-28-1999, 08:00 AM
Paul Fletcher

Hi Maz,<p>You must have been at the preview the same time as me! I'm number 94 of the allocation so you can imagine how long I have been waiting. Have you got any firm information about these stability problems? It seems likely that the Quattro drivetrain is upsetting the airflow under the car and the more complicated exhaust system will only add to these problems. Audi UK did say that delivery would commence in September during a recent phone grilling so we shall wait and see.<p>Paul.
Old 05-28-1999, 08:30 AM
Maz

94 eh? sheesh, I hope you're not after a roadster <p>The 'Autocar' reference to 'Auto Motor Und Sport' is all I know about the stability probs I'm afraid. Does the fact that Audi deny needing to resort to a pop-out spoiler mean that they are happy with the current set up or that they intend to do something less obvious - like change the underside a little? (some hope at this stage I'm sure)<p>Delivery starts September, eh! Did they give you any indication as to how long (how many cars per month) they would take to filter through to yours? I'll probably be waiting into 2000 at this rate <p>Maz.<p>plenty of time to save for super unleaded then , 86p per litre currently (~$1.4)
Old 05-28-1999, 11:34 AM
colin

just to let you all know the official date of the tt launch has just been made june 10.all dealers are getting 180bhp fully loaded and a demonstrator is also been provided to every dealer.these will also be full spec 180.the sales office was given confirmation that 225 will start production in week 23.
Old 05-29-1999, 02:21 AM
Paul Fletcher

I should have added that September is the delivery date for ROADSTERS (oops) and yes that is the car I'm after. As colin says get down to your dealer in June and demand a test drive!<p>Regards,<br>Paul.
Old 06-01-1999, 01:08 AM
Maz

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be hassling my dealer pronto!! (nt)

Quick Reply: Buying a TT in UK